• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixed Substrate

MrMarlow

Hey all,

So, I'm currently researching and planning my first aquascape tank and up to now just have the tank, the driftwood and some rocks (will be having more rocks), but researching substrate is proving to be rather complex - at least it feels as such.

MA recommend Fluval Stratum (which they sell), another LFS recommends the aqua soil they sell, Amazon has far cheaper stuff (might not be like for like - Tetra Active Substrate), and even here, there's a thread on a cheaper substrate, Akadama.

I'm thinking of perhaps mixing a small bag of Stratum, some Akadama, and a bag of Tetra Active Substrate, throwing it into media bags and capping it with 4-6mm black pebbles.

I have done some light reading (yet potentially not enough understanding) and it seems like the CEC of Akadama is decent, the nutrients from Stratum would be good, and honestly, Tetra is just cheaper to pack it out some.

Would mixing have a negative effect at all?

It's my first planted/scaped tank, so it's proving to be a little overwhelming with so many options. An "Aquascaped Tank for Dummies" book would be awesome!

Mixing should be fine in media bags, but honestly, it's not really needed.

Any substrate can work, whether it be expensive aquasoils or inert sand, as long as there are nutrients available in the water column the plants won't really care.

Fluval stratum I have used in a shrimp tank and I didn't like it, very light and I believe caused some issues with the shrimp, and I have just bought a bag of the tetra stuff for an emersed setup, but not used it yet.

Another option that I have used to good effect is crushed lava rock (like JBL volcano mineral etc) to build height topped with tropica aquasoil

Another option that I have used to good effect is crushed lava rock (like JBL volcano mineral etc) to build height topped with tropica aquasoil
Thanks for that information. I'll definitely be considering JBL Volcano with Tropical aqua-soil.

Is there a reason you chose the Tetra stuff for emersed plants? I do like the look of having at least one plant coming out of the water, so that's something I want to look into also.

Thanks for that information. I'll definitely be considering JBL Volcano with Tropical aqua-soil.

Is there a reason you chose the Tetra stuff for emersed plants? I do like the look of having at least one plant coming out of the water, so that's something I want to look into also.

I wanted something that isn't messy like soil and cheap, it was only 7 on amazon so I bought that :)

Having looked at it now, it looks like akadama to me.

Honestly, get whatever substrate fits within your budget. They all work, it just comes down to your husbandry efforts. If you don’t do maintenance and pay attention to the plants, it doesn’t matter what substrate you have your going to have problems. If you get any type aquasoil, I wouldn’t mix it with anything it’s unnecessary, unless you need to build up areas as mentioned. If your trying to make hills, or bank it, use as mentioned to get height with something inert and good CEC.

I wanted something that isn't messy like soil and cheap, it was only 7 on amazon so I bought that :)

Having looked at it now, it looks like akadama to me.

If it is, that would make it more easily available to buy than stuff labelled Akadama - Google didn't give me many options locally when I looked yesterday, and where it did, it was more costly than £12 for 6L, delivered to my doorstep.

The "not messy" part is why I thought (after watching MD Fish Tanks) that it was probably a good idea to bag soil and put it under a cap.

Honestly, get whatever substrate fits within your budget. They all work, it just comes down to your husbandry efforts. If you don’t do maintenance and pay attention to the plants, it doesn’t matter what substrate you have your going to have problems. If you get any type aquasoil, I wouldn’t mix it with anything it’s unnecessary, unless you need to build up areas as mentioned. If your trying to make hills, or bank it, use as mentioned to get height with something inert and good CEC.
Thanks for the input. Budget isn't really my main factor, even though saving some on substrate would allow more plants and fertilizers etc.

My main concern is trying to get it right from the jump as I'm more concerned about losing fish than the cost of substrate etc - I mean, if saving £10 on substrate gives a higher risk of losing my Blue Phantom Plec, I'd rather pay the £10 more.

Beginning to think I might use predominantly Tetra ActiveSubstrate for the base, but towards the back spread a bag of aqua-soil before capping with more Tetra, solely because I've read that some plants stay planted better with soil, and bigger plants will be at the back.

Feel like I should apply to college for some night schooling in Aquatic Biology 😂

Thanks for the input. Budget isn't really my main factor, even though saving some on substrate would allow more plants and fertilizers etc.

If budget isn't really a factor I would definitely just go for a standard aquarium soil like tropica throughout, yes a bit more costly but much less hassle.

I'm thinking of perhaps mixing a small bag of Stratum, some Akadama, and a bag of Tetra Active Substrate, throwing it into media bags and capping it with 4-6mm black pebbles.
Hi @MrMarlow

The only comment I would make concerns the 4-6mm pebbles. You may find that detritus builds up between the pebbles and this may not be easy to remove with the likes of a Python substrate cleaner. This could cause a build-up of dissolved organics and other compounds. Most fish and snails would find it difficult to get access to these tasty morsels but shrimp may be better adapted to the task.

JPC

Back