• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Mock play pit - your thoughts please

Paul Kettless

Well the things this lockdown and furlough takes you too, I have built myself a play pit. The other half thinks I have gone mad 🤪 lol
g
I'm gonna see if I can grab myself a bag of cheap sand I guess for a few practice scapes. Funny thing is I have done plenty of reading, and watched many tutorials then I look at my pile of rocks and wood and the mind goes blank. This bit really isn't as easy as it looks is it IMG_20210124_141901.jpg ......

Once I have a couple made up, I will post them in here so that you guys can lead this horse to water...🤣

Last edited:
Well as they say, you have to start somewhere. To say it's frustratingly difficult is an understatement lol.

Would really appreciate you guys pulling this apart, and appreciate you opinions. I'm a fish keeper and not an aquascaper. Don't hold back as I'm not easily offended , so if you can see obvious errors and ways to improve, please shout.

The idea is to have a triangular style composition, with a wall effect to keep soil at the back for stems. We will be viewing the tank from the front right corner from our seating area the majority of the time. I would like to have a carpet in the front left area, and also the same in the back right corner on what would be a small terrace area. hence the small stone across the front to help divide the soil and sand, and the stones to the front right leading to the back.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_172048.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172048.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20210124_172043.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172043.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20210124_172035.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172035.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20210124_172031.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172031.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20210124_172020.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172020.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 186
Just added these two images so that you can see the the tank from the left hand side view.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_173850.jpg
    IMG_20210124_173850.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210124_173844.jpg
    IMG_20210124_173844.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 178
I'm not an aquascaper but here's my thoughts.

To the eye the biggest rock (2nd from left) loses its presence because the fist rock (from the left) is of a similar size, i also think the 3rd and 4th rocks (from the left) could maybe be placed on a slight angle. I know its the wood that's supposed to draw you eye but at the minute my eyes are being drawn towards the stone.

Also are you confident you can get a decent flow around the back left hand side?

Just my thoughts and if nothing else it will bump your thread.

Cheers.

I'm not an aquascaper but here's my thoughts.

To the eye the biggest rock (2nd from left) loses its presence because the fist rock (from the left) is of a similar size, i also think the 3rd and 4th rocks (from the left) could maybe be placed on a slight angle. I know its the wood that's supposed to draw you eye but at the minute my eyes are being drawn towards the stone.

Also are you confident you can get a decent flow around the back left hand side?

Just my thoughts and if nothing else it will bump your thread.

Cheers.
Im not confident about the flow at all, but I will be using 2 x external canister filters, so hopefully I will be able to position the inflow/outflow to work. Valid point regarding the stone to the left, and the others being too flat. I dont have any sand or anything to use that would allow me to angle stones better. I couldnt justify going out just to buy that in todays society.

trying to get the veining going in a similar way would reduce down some of the energy in the scene and make it more like rocks outside the box.

looks to me a little like the start of a dry stone wall, and rocks that are looking freshly quarried are dominating with the odd more weathered stone,

are all faces on those stones so engineered? what’s your thoughts on distressing the rock with some stress relief blows?

trying to get the veining going in a similar way would reduce down some of the energy in the scene and make it more like rocks outside the box.

looks to me a little like the start of a dry stone wall, and rocks that are looking freshly quarried are dominating with the odd more weathered stone,

are all faces on those stones so engineered? what’s your thoughts on distressing the rock with some stress relief blows?
Thanks Bob for your comments, I guess I was trying to do some form of contained wall that would keep the soil where it should. Maybe I went a bit too regimented lol. As you said some of frodo stones are more weathered but unfortunately some of the stones do look quite engineered. More than happy to distress them in some way. Do you have any tips for doing so. I have an angle grinder with a stone cutter. Or is it just a case of hitting them with a hammer.....

Would also be interested to know what peoples opinions are on the mopani as it has 2 very distinct sides, the one you are seeing know it quite dark and gnarled, and the back is considerably lighter in colour and a much smoother texture.

Last edited:
think its tricky with patterned rocks to not end up with them creating a flow that would not happen in the wild in their original setting

I don’t know how strong the rock is and what abuse it will or won’t take before becoming gravel, but there are some very skilled folks on here, so I would think some one will be along shortly,

best advise I have, that was taught to me when working on some landscaping work, straight lines are incredibly rare in nature, so will stick out like a sore thumb to our eyes,

best advise I have, that was taught to me when working on some landscaping work, straight lines are incredibly rare in nature, so will stick out like a sore thumb to our eyes,
Good, sound advice, and your are absolutely right. I will play again tommorow and see what I can change

OK, so I completely started again and have tried to take on board the advise already given. Opened a bag of the jbl volcano to aid stone placements, also taken the picture head an as instructed. I took a claw hammer to some of the stones and it has def helped to soften some of the edges on the more engineered stones.

Not sure you agree but I'm more happy with this layout than the first. Just not sure we're to the put my others halfs daily asos delivery though lol

Appreciate your thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_144102.jpg
    IMG_20210125_144102.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210125_144114.jpg
    IMG_20210125_144114.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
stone work is much better @Paul Kettless, but it hink you have a set position or part of the wood you like that is dictating the layout of it and it's a bit unnatural and too vertical

this is just my quick 2p and it's all down to what you like but the stone i have crossed on the left does nothing for the scape so i'd use it as a base to provide height on the right for the nicer stones, move the one in the middle in its place, maybe angle the stone on the right out just to give a variety on angles

maybe try and slope the wood over to the right (you mentioned about this being viewed from the right) so this would work well, you could have the right wood creeping over the rocks as in blue or more upright in red, the left wood in red could either sit up or creeping over the other piece of wood
InkedInkedInkedIMG_20210125_144102_LI.jpg

theres various other ways you could approach it but that's half the fun, everyone could be given identical hardscape and all come up with something different :thumbup:

I'm also not a true aquascaper and consider myself still a novice after 5 years and creating 5 different scapes. SO i'm not even going to try to critique anything.. It takes a lot more tryouts and quite a large budget (a rather big pile of different hardscape materials) to get to a certain point of perfection. To achieve this one would need to create several different scapes in a year time for a few years in a row.

With limited resources, there will always be a lot less option to choose from. It doesn't make it all easier.

But there are a few rules to take into respect that definitively work in your favour if applied correctly... For example, review the rule of 3ds. In a nutshell, it refers to looking at a framed picture... This is in a way what an aquarium is to a certain degree. It a box you mainly view from the front side only. Tho it has more dimensions than only this but is a nice first step to get an understanding of the concept before you dive into the deep.

Painters, photographers and even architects use this rule to pull out the focal point you want to see and use the rest of the space to compliment it. We who try to aquascape are also bound to this rule. The rule says among others you should always place the focal point at 1/3 from the right or the left side. This could be a big rock or a large piece of wood or a group of plants.

As this image shows a dog in a landscape... The dog is the focal point in this picture placed 1/3 from the right side.
rule-of-thirds-dog.jpg

The rest in the picture should complement the focal point and not draw your eyes away from it. Imagine it as if there was a red fire brigade truck driving on the road in the background that doesn't belong there seen from the focal point perspective. Then your eye would constantly pull to the red truck instead of the dog.

For us, since we are working with a 3-dimensional box, we have 2 more lines to take into account making a tad more difficult than this. But work your way from this first step, along the way you'll see what is meant.

Simply don't make it to busy for a start because you'll easily lose perspective and don't know where to look. The 2nd rule is Less is More often referred to as KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Here an example of the rule of 3rd in aquascaping.
1611588907143.jpeg

There are e few more you could use, for me personally the rule of 3rds was the easiest one to understand and try to implement. As you can see the rule not only applies to left and right but also from top to bottom and not showing in a 2-dimensional picture but also from front to back in real life viewing.

Once you get a hang of these simpler rules you can dive deeper into Fibonacci - rules of composition.
1611589268673.jpeg

Other rules regarding creating a sense of depth is mainly in placement and size... One simple example is a smaller rock behind a bigger rock in the front, but placed at a higher level actually can be used to represent a much bigger rock at the horizon in the background. The other way around a much too large rock behind a smaller rock could completely destroy this effect.

Anyway trying to understand and implement these rules definitively will help to create much more appealing sceneries that only need small details to be improved to make it even beter.

Succes!! :thumbup:

Thanks Kalum,

Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees, my thoughts were that the height would be more dramatic. I have moved all three pieces, I have also rounded of the rock work on the rights hand side and it also seemed to staged what do you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_155628.jpg
    IMG_20210125_155628.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20210125_155550.jpg
    IMG_20210125_155550.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 153
I'm also not a true aquascaper and consider myself still a novice after 5 years and creating 5 different scapes. SO i'm not even going to try to critique anything.. It takes a lot more tryouts and quite a large budget (a rather big pile of different hardscape materials) to get to a certain point of perfection. To achieve this one would need to create several different scapes in a year time for a few years in a row.

With limited resources, there will always be a lot less option to choose from. It doesn't make it all easier.

But there are a few rules to take into respect that definitively work in your favour if applied correctly... For example, review the rule of 3ds. In a nutshell, it refers to looking at a framed picture... This is in a way what an aquarium is to a certain degree. It a box you mainly view from the front side only. Tho it has more dimensions than only this but is a nice first step to get an understanding of the concept before you dive into the deep.

Painters, photographers and even architects use this rule to pull out the focal point you want to see and use the rest of the space to compliment it. We who try to aquascape are also bound to this rule. The rule says among others you should always place the focal point at 1/3 from the right or the left side. This could be a big rock or a large piece of wood or a group of plants.

As this image shows a dog in a landscape... The dog is the focal point in this picture placed 1/3 from the right side.
rule-of-thirds-dog.jpg

The rest in the picture should complement the focal point and not draw your eyes away from it. Imagine it as if there was a red fire brigade truck driving on the road in the background that doesn't belong there seen from the focal point perspective. Then your eye would constantly pull to the red truck instead of the dog.

For us, since we are working with a 3-dimensional box, we have 2 more lines to take into account making a tad more difficult than this. But work your way from this first step, along the way you'll see what is meant.

Simply don't make it to busy for a start because you'll easily lose perspective and don't know where to look. The 2nd rule is Less is More often referred to as KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Here an example of the rule of 3rd in aquascaping.
View attachment 161254

There are e few more you could use, for me personally the rule of 3rds was the easiest one to understand and try to implement. As you can see the rule not only applies to left and right but also from top to bottom and not showing in a 2-dimensional picture but also from front to back in real life viewing.

Once you get a hang of these simpler rules you can dive deeper into Fibonacci - rules of composition.
View attachment 161255

Other rules regarding creating a sense of depth is mainly in placement and size... One simple example is a smaller rock behind a bigger rock in the front, but placed at a higher level actually can be used to represent a much bigger rock at the horizon in the background. The other way around a much too large rock behind a smaller rock could completely destroy this effect.

Anyway trying to understand and implement these rules definitively will help to create much more appealing sceneries that only need small details to be improved to make it even beter.

Succes!! :thumbup:
Really appreciate your time and effort for posting, I shall study this a bit more in detail.

Back