• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Modding Fluval Flex 57L

Did this a while back but thought I'd drop this here anyway - anyone who owns this tank knows that back compartment is a half-empty massive waste of space, and the other half is occupied by an overkill pump and media. But you can actually remove it by cutting through the silicone round the edge of it though. This makes the tank look so much roomier. Example from my tank below (admittedly not the best example as where the back compartment was is currently full of nonsense!). The honeycomb bit at the right is where the back compartment divider used to be.

IMG_20220206_195312.jpg

IMG_20220206_195303_1.jpg

Hey Iv thought about doing this but Iv found the back compartment to very useful. I have my skimmer, heater, filter media, pump and Co2 injection all hidden in the back. For someone like me who doesn’t want external filters and likes a very tidy look in a small room it’s done me very well.

9C350F0B-287F-4F8D-B8BB-CDC351BA696C.jpeg

I would have said that fluval could have made it better but for me a few additions of extra media and a stronger pump makes it work very well for me. Any plans for this tank?
I imagine for your tank (very nice by the way) the really strong flow is good - mine is for a betta and he didn't know what hit him the second I turned that pump on haha. I'm going to plant it a bit more heavily soon and do something about the mess at the back. I nicked a lot of the plants for my main tank as I'm trying a betta sorority soon :)

Cheers man. I had a Betta in this tank previously. I had it packed with plants and the flow was fine then. With something to curb the flow yeah it’s too strong

I like the back compartment for hiding all the equipment, I have changed mine so there is a heater and some prefiltration sponges in the first section, media in the second and the pump and my fertiliser dosing in the third. Slight waste of space but there is still enough room in the tank for everything I need.
I would like to remove the lid but have a smaller lid just covering the back sections, raised slightly to allow the cables in etc.

Cheers man. I had a Betta in this tank previously. I had it packed with plants and the flow was fine then. With something to curb the flow yeah it’s too strong
I was triggered by your comment about having the CO2, trimmer, etc all in the back. Then I saw your spray bar: is that helping flow a lot throughout the tank in stead of the standard nozzles? I seem to have issues with flow in my Flex - some 'dead' spots I guess. Having a spray bar may solve this?

I was triggered by your comment about having the CO2, trimmer, etc all in the back. Then I saw your spray bar: is that helping flow a lot throughout the tank in stead of the standard nozzles? I seem to have issues with flow in my Flex - some 'dead' spots I guess. Having a spray bar may solve this?
It’s chalk and cheese. I get circular flow and the curved glass promotes downward flow and it gets push to the substrate and into the back. As it rises it gets caught in the flow and Co2 is recirculated. A must for this tank. Even with the low turn over I’m happy with the distribution

Back