• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

modify juwel rio 180 light unit

I would say as above, the standard lights are more than enough to grow almost anything... By adding more light you will only complicate things and invite algae along to the party.

I have heard of someone doing this, just add another light unit but like previously said, you will get algae, it will look messy and the lids will not fit. You may get one lid in if you are lucky, I.E the front one for feeding, etc.

You could always custom build new flaps, or butcher up yours.

Just to add my thoughts to this.

I have a Juwel Vision 180 with T5 (2x35w) and was thinking of adding more light too.

My reasoning was that my red leaved plants never developed properly until they made it half way up the tank.
Then the red colour developed. Hence why i thought it was light that was required?

Co2 FE at high levels, daily ferts, etc

Sounds like my thinking is wrong though?

You have enough light. Just switch to Arcadia plant pro J5 tubes, and add Arcadia reflectors.

I have heard of someone doing this, just add another light unit but like previously said, you will get algae, it will look messy and the lids will not fit. You may get one lid in if you are lucky, I.E the front one for feeding, etc.

You could always custom build new flaps, or butcher up yours.
First postulate - algae part: could happen, but not a certainty !!
Second postulate - lids part : simply untrue ( go check Juwels homepage )
Personally I don't like "heard of somebody" in any connection to facts............;)
Mick.

Just to add my thoughts to this.

I have a Juwel Vision 180 with T5 (2x35w) and was thinking of adding more light too.

My reasoning was that my red leaved plants never developed properly until they made it half way up the tank.
Then the red colour developed. Hence why i thought it was light that was required?

Co2 FE at high levels, daily ferts, etc

Sounds like my thinking is wrong though?
You are not wrong - but light, ferts and CO2 amounts need to be adjusted, to get it balanced.
Mick.

Thanks mate.
I have those two things already though.
I wonder if the water itself is affecting the light reaching the substrate.
Only reason i say this is noticed today that it has alot of suspended particles in the water?

...yes, i am clutching at straws :)
Yes, particles in the water will block out some of tbe light !!
Mick.

What does juwels homepage say?
I have heard of someone doing it on another forum. Doubt it all you want it doesn't bother me.

I have just done the same thing with my Rio 400 but obviously they sell 3 flap sets for it.

I checked on my vision 180 and from what I can guess by eye you might just get the first flap in.

Sarah :)

I'm in my own little world, but it's okay, they all understand me here.

You are very entitled to opinions, my friend - it just doesn't make them absolute truth !!
The very fact, that you state it can't be done, not checking fact from manufacturer.......well, says it all !!
- and honostly, it's the "they understand me here" part that worry me......since you present facts, that are not !! I don't doubt you at all - i know for a fact, you are wrong. There's a huge difference.
- Sarah; let's not start a debate on this. Please accept my right to correct things that I know about, as I actually respect your right to bring forward your opinion on things :) . This make a forum live and work. We all learn from that.........:thumbup:
Mick.

Hey- no beef mick, just passing on what I have read on another forum. If I come across it again I'll link it. I'm guessing by looking at my tank, without measuring so again it's just my opinion!

The 'they understand me here' is my forum signature lol throughout all my forums.

If you know better about the modifications please say so as I'm sure the op would like to know one way or another.

Take care mick.
Sarah.

I'm in my own little world, but it's okay, they all understand me here.

Happy, we solved this, Sarah.....it's supposed to be nice on here :p
As for the OP......he allready has PM me, so he too is guided to origin of info (= Juwel homepage + Tropica homepage)
As for link to info about opinions, don't bother for my sake. I get plenty of opinions, but prefere facts, honestly ;)
- I will, thx. Sarah ......and that goes for you too. Looking forward to maybe talk again sometime :thumbup:
Mick.

I added 2 more lights to my juwel flaps, nidnt look very tidy, but it worked. Could be made to look tidyer, but i was lmited to 2 T8s, and wanted T5's, I have photos somewhere...

Back