• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moler clay dust during hardscaping?

Rahms

Heyo,

Starting up a new tank after a hiatus!

I've got a big bag of moler clay and some nice dragonstone. I quite want to put it in the tank and try out different hardscapes etc, but I'm not sure if the clay will just turn to dust and need loads of rinsing again... Anyone able to offer some guidance?

Thanks

Edit: To clarify, my concern is whether I'll crush the clay by moving rocks etc

Last edited:
Heyo,

Starting up a new tank after a hiatus!

I've got a big bag of moler clay and some nice dragonstone. I quite want to put it in the tank and try out different hardscapes etc, but I'm not sure if the clay will just turn to dust and need loads of rinsing again... Anyone able to offer some guidance?

Thanks

Wash it, wash it, then wash it again x 10; I spent 2 hours washing mine, and it still went very dusty.

It's the nature of the beast with moler clay, bit of patience and you're golden though

Ha yep! I'm at that point now, I just dont want to mess it all up hardscaping and have to rewash... Not sure if I'm overthinking it though

The benefits of using molar clay as a substrate is the high CEC (cation exchange capacity) & your plants will love you for it! There can be sediment, everywhere for a while, which is a pain but you can do your best to syphon off when doing water changes & this eventually subsides ☺

Back