• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mondo

I used manado over tropica soil and it worked ok. The tank was setup for 8 years before I swapped the substrate out.

It works best in a low tech system where you aren't going to disturb the substrate much. If you think you will want to change the plants or aquascape over time then perhaps it's not the best mix because manado is very light and the layers mix very easily. I also find that it's not the most grippy substrate so planting can be a pain.

So it will work but perhaps isn't the most user friendly choice, or not for an aquascaper that isn't as lazy as I am when it comes to rescaping.

You don't need to cap tropica substrate but people have had great success capping it with sand or fine gravel, which I think is more planting friendly if you choose to go that route.

Just to clear up any confusion.
Tropica Soil and Tropica Substrate are 2 different things.
Soil is black granules in a coarse and a fine form (called soil powder) and doesn't need capping. Substrate is actually very powderish, and absolutely needs to be capped, unless you really like cloudy water.
All are excellent.

No experience with Manado, though...

Back