• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Money no Object – Space is

Actually just realised you could do this with glass too. All you'd have to do is have a normal overflow in the corner then another piece of glass infront of it to take water from nearer the base. It'd work great and no surface skimming.

On that subject I'm not sure it's really be too bad on the CO2. As long as you don't have a trickle filter which really will gas off all the CO2 but the water running in under the sump's water surface then it wouldn't be too bad really. I'd just rig it up with a CO2 reactor on the return pump to make sure the water going back is full of CO2.

Can't see any point in going to the hard work of putting in a sump, especially as this is going to be a relatively small tank.
Any large filter under the tank will suffice.

Get a nice rimless opti-white, nice stand (whatever you like really, ADA style or integrated into your furniture)
Full glassware and top quality substrate, hardscape and plants.

If you don't want the glassware on show, then drill out the bottom of the tank and connect up the pipework to a good, suitable filter, inline heating and Co2. then make sure the inlet and outlet in the tank is hidden (hardscape and plants)
and there you go. Great tank with nothing but what you want on show.

Ed Seeley said:
vauxhallmark said:
If you're using a sump then the water has to be taken from the top of the tank by some kind of overflow (weir, standpipe, hole in the side of the tank etc.).

Not actually true, it's just that that's the most common and probably easiest way of doing it.

All you have to do is have an intake comes up vertically from the bottom (or lower down the side) and that goes up to the height you want the water level at where you then have a 180 degree bend (with an anti-syphon hole in the top) and pipework that leads back down to the level you want to remove the water from. In practice it would look a bit like an ehiem intake inside the tank - personally I'd have a traditional overflow!!!!
Once the water reaches the height of the bend it will overflow down into the sump - all enclosed within pipework.

Yup, good point - that would do it! You would lose the benefit of surface skimming, but probably reduce CO2 loss. Thanks for pulling me up!

Mark

Re: Money no Object – Space is AquaEl External uni Max 700

After yet more research Im thinking of a singel AquaEl External uni Max 700 for filtrations, apparently it has 2 in and 2 out flows so these can be spread round the tank for max circulation.

As a reminder here is the size and volume

Tank: Opti White High Clarity Tank 75x45x45cm (158 ltrs)

Lighting: Arcadia Series 4 Pendant 70cm - 1x150w 5200K+ 2x24w

Thoughts apprecaited.

Regards

John B

Hmm...200 watts over a 40 gallon tank, and a measly 700LPH rated filter? Good luck mate. :wideyed:

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hmm...200 watts over a 40 gallon tank, and a measly 700LPH rated filter? Good luck mate. :wideyed:

It's a 1700 l/h rating if that make much difference.

Egmel said:
ceg4048 said:

It's a 1700 l/h rating if that make much difference.

yes, 1700l/ph gives 10x turnover. IMO i would just stick with the 150w metal halide, it will give you fast enough growth.

I'd still want 2 filters, the difference they makes enough difference to warrant the cost.

hm so 1700ltr per hour is insuffcient ?, I assuemed that as it has two inlets and 2 outlets I could have the strategically placed and that would be fine, I guess not so i need two filters - anyone suggest which two ?

Regards

John B

johnb said:
hm so 1700ltr per hour is insuffcient ?, I assuemed that as it has two inlets and 2 outlets I could have the strategically placed and that would be fine, I guess not so i need two filters - anyone suggest which two ?

Regards

John B

1700l/ph is fine, the reccomendation for turnover is 10-20x and with 1700l you will have 10x.

thanks, feel a bit happier now, as im going to have the tank drilled, is there an obvious location for the inlets x 2 and outlest x 2 (i will aquascape of course to hide them)

Regards

John B

Higher is always better, If it were me I'd go for 2x ex1200 and use lillys rather than drilled. 2400lph is only 700lph more but it's going to be better than 1700lph. Or even 2 of those superfish 2000lph filters George has.
Yes the recommendation is to aim for 10x flow so you get 5 times actual but more and more people are finding higher flow to be beneficial. Just look how many of us have powerheads to boost flow, I'd say it's better to be prepared than run into trouble and have to add powerheads.

Thanks for this, its godo to get the differing opinions. So ive looked at the TetraTec EX external filter - EX1200 which seems fine and I can see advantages to haveing two filters. So taking this futher rather than then connecting an external inlien heater I could simply get two filters with heater built in (even more redundancy built in)

So im looking for two external filters rater around 1000 lph with builting in heaters (ideally) , I will worry about lilly pipes pr drilled once the filters are selected.

Regards
John B

Another option to improve flow and which would take up less space would be to have a circulation pump like this:
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/addtob ... 1&rets=113
then attach a CO2 reactor and then an inline external heater, like the hydor 300w one.
Could even be clever and give the option to hook it up to an external pipe and so act as a water changer. Thinking of doing this myself to get rid of my internal filter.

Even if the flow was halved by resistance from the reactor and heater, you will still have 1000lph which combined with the filter would be more than enough. This would be more compact than a filter. If you get a tetratec ex1200 you will have a large filter volume and if stocking lightly with fish, further filter volume is unlikely to be of benefit. However with an extra filter you do have a degree of redundancy.

I have an eheim 2128, it's rated about right for you if you want two. It has a heater but unfortunately the element in mine doesn't work, i don't know if this is a common fault?
Cheers
Dan

And to add to Dan's comments my 2128 is working fine but the extra cables always annoy me at cleaning time! I'd go with 'normal' externals with Hydor heaters on the pipes as then you don't need to disconnect the heater when cleaning the externals and have the heaters tucked away.

If money's no problem and you can fit them both in under the tank then I'd go with two externals rather than the pump circuit as you can't have too much filtration!

Ed Seeley said:
...I'd go with two externals rather than the pump circuit as you can't have too much filtration!

Sure there is a limit to that...

*Hooks up an FX5 to 12" nano* :twisted:

I think you can have too much flow, but the volume of filter media can't be too high as above a certain point it simply won't be colonised fully and, while unnecessary, won't be a negative thing! An FX5 with the flow turned down a bit would be fine on any small tank and it'd certainly up your volume which is all good too!

My point was that two externals would be better than an external and a pump if everything else is equal and you could fit them in. Not necessary, but couldn't hurt.

Just to argue the other point however I personally think that for a lightly stocked tank you can get away with a lot less filter media than any of us run, but why run close to the edge? My 180l tank has only a Juwel internal filter (with sintered glass media along with 2 pieces of foam) and that has plenty of capacity for my fish load. I do run an internal powerhead for extra flow though. But if money and space are no problem then why not run an extra external instead?

Back