• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Money no Object – Space is

To much flow, not enough etc, so I've read and re read and am going for

Tetratec EX 1200 External Filter x 2

they will fit nicely in the cabinet and I will have space for the the External Heater and the inline CO2 Feed

So now I've finally decided I'm still looking to have drilled as I have no space round the back or sides due to the alcove the tank is going to fit into.

I need some help with the Drilling however, most importantly were the two inlets and two outlets should go to achieve maximum flow ?

Am I going to need some special adapters or something for the plumbing aspect ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

John B

If money is no object have you thought about LED lighting like the aquaray. Looks like the way of the future but bit pricey at the moment.

Sounds good to me. I'd still avoid the drilled option, it'll limit you're scaping quiet badly I feel. That's not to be said it can't be done.
The also bring up maintenance issues like detaching tubing and filters without flooding floors...
Are you a novice? I'd personally say if so stick to "standard" fittings.

I am still quite keen on drilled mainly because of my space limitations, novice ?, in terms of some folk, yes indeed, its my second tank, my first was a touch larger see here

SDC10372.jpg

So if i purse drilled I do need help on postiioning and any extra kit required ?

Regards

In terms of extra kit, if you go for drilled the minimum you'll need is a bulkhead for each hole, which is a two part piece of plastic plumbing that screws in from the top and bottom of the hole, a barb for the underside of each bulkead which is an adapter that will allow you to connect the flexible tubing from your filter to it (sized for what ever tubing your chosen filter uses), and whatever plumbing you want inside the tank to position the exact points that the water will be drawn from/returned to.

The best place for plumbing advice is on reef forums, try and find a UK one so that the links are useful (otherwise it will just refer you to American hardware stores all the time). There are some great forums around, I can't remember which are the best for plumbing as I'm not at home with my bookmarks - try reefsuk.org, ultimatereef.net or marinefish-uk.co.uk/forums. Or google aquarium plumbing.

Mark

this is a worry, answering my own post

if i reduce to 1 filter thereby making the scaping a little eaiser with my drilled preference, its just a case of which filter ?

I was going for Tetratec EX 1200 External Filter x 2

So now i need filter which is up to the job ?

Looking around how about something like:

Fluval FX5, Tetratec EX 2400 , Aqua El Unimax Professional 700

Regards

John B

I'd go for the biggest you can fit in the cupboard with the highest flow rate. I think that's the FX5 but you may need to change the ribbed hose for standard hose before you get to the fittings and the heater, CO2 reactor etc.

Back