• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monitor calibration?

Steve Smith

Hey guys. It's come up in a few threads lately, and I realised that - even though I'm an IT geek - I have no idea when it comes to calibrating my monitors at home or work.

At work I have the luxury of 2x 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226cw widescreen monitors! They're bad ass! :lol: at home however I have a 19" standard TFT (via DVI).

What do you guys do to calibrate your monitors?

I use a Pantone Huey on mine (get the pro if you have two monitors) although there are newer ones being released all the time it is a good unit. I think Dave has just had another Pantone/Gretametag model for his B'day.

The good thing I found when using one is obviously the colour (my monitor was way out with a green cast) but it also does the brightness which I always found hard to set manually via adobe gamma.

We had a talk at Mold Camera Club the other week from a guy at Colour Confidence and he was bashing on about the main thing to do is get a calibrator as the monitors are nearly always out and they degrade over time hence why you are supposoed to do it around every 3 weeks or so.

Theres a free pdf download here although you do have to put your email in to get it. Ive done it and not had any spam - http://downloads.typemaker.co.uk/scripts/RequestDownload.php?DownloadType=CC000006

Theres a good comparison chart here too - http://shop.colourconfidence.com/page.php?xPage=moncalibcomp.html

stuworrall said:
I use a Pantone Huey on mine (get the pro if you have two monitors) although there are newer ones being released all the time it is a good unit. I think Dave has just had another Pantone/Gretametag model for his B'day.

Excuse my ignorance Stu, but I assume this is some sort of physical device?

I have just had a go with the GretagMacbeth Eye One Match 3. The colours didn`t seem to change much, but the brightness of the screen did.

Dave.

I borrow mine from uni every other month to calibrate mine every time I've used it it changes so what stu says about it changing really is relevant.

No... I still have a student card so they have to lend me stuff. ;)

SteveUK said:
stuworrall said:

Excuse my ignorance Stu, but I assume this is some sort of physical device?

its one of these Steve

962_pantone_huey.jpg

IYou run the software and stick it to your screen like so

pantone-huey-onscreen.jpg

The software runs through a range of colours output onto you monitor which the device reads optically. It then compares what colours your monitor is putting out to what the colours should be and alters the output of your screen through software so that photos look hunky dory when viewed.. or something like that!

I work on the same screens as you Steve on a mac and i use the Pantone Huey device too, it's really good. Most of my work is in Pantone so it's absolutely necessary.

Back