• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mont Gumi

Danny

After a few years out of fish keeping I am finally getting around to setting up what I hope to be my best ever tank, I'm not entirely sure at this point if it will be a mountain scape or simple Iwagumi.

I will be using Seiryu stone so will see what develops while dry scaping, I am also yet to decide on going full on high tech or not which will be dependent on the scape I settle on and potential plants.

As it stands I have the tank and a couple of other bits and awaiting delivery of everything else needed to get started which I hope to be this weekend.

Tank: TMC Signature 600x450x300
Light: ADA Aquasky 601, 14hrs or so a day
Filter: Eheim 2213 external
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
Decor: Dragon Rock
Ferts: TNC liquid carbon and Complete
Plants:
-Marsilea Hirsuta
-Rotala Wallichii
-Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini'

TBC

Last edited:
This is how it looks currently while I wait for more Aquasoil and the Seiryu stone to arrive along with a few other bits and pieces so I can make a start on the scape and DSM.

Attachments

• 20171116_175710.jpg
    20171116_175710.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 279
Are you still thinking about a pressurized co2 system? I think the ada aquasky gives to much light to go w/o a co2 system. And plants benefit great from co2 w/e plants you choose. Even with co2 you might wanna block out some light with tape or so to keep algae under control. If you mainly have carpet plants.

I would go for a mountain scape if you have enough stones. I also started with iwagumi's but they get boring very fast IMO.

Are you still thinking about a pressurized co2 system? I think the ada aquasky gives to much light to go w/o a co2 system. And plants benefit great from co2 w/e plants you choose. Even with co2 you might wanna block out some light with tape or so to keep algae under control. If you mainly have carpet plants.

I would go for a mountain scape if you have enough stones. I also started with iwagumi's but they get boring very fast IMO.
I'm hoping to be able to create a mountain scape based along the lines of a ridge or similar but it will be my first try at it and was never that great at aquascaping before, I have 15kg of Seiryu being delivered and if I can't work with that I have another 20kg on standby.

I might get a frosted cover for it or possibly some Amazon frogbit or similar floating plant at some stage or will just go for CO2.

Plants wise my initial thoughts are I think HC or GE for a carpet and just some moss around the rocks, still early days yet so no doubt my ideas will change over the next couple of weeks.

It currently looks like this, had to do something with it while I wait for the rest of the items lol

Attachments

• 20171116_181641.jpg
    20171116_181641.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 246
So 15kg of Seiryu has arrived and after a trip to the LFS I picked up some great Dragon stone after having a little scape in the shop with it.

Initial thoughts after playing with the Dragon stone in the shop are they will give me pretty much the mountain scape I am after.

Now to play with a few ideas with each set and see which stone I settle and scape I can settle on.

Attachments

• 20171117_180133.jpg
    20171117_180133.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
The first idea with Dragon stone, next will be with Seiryu stone. I would backfill this around the rockwork with some more ADA Aquasoil.

Any critique welcome.

Attachments

• 20171117_184026.jpg
    20171117_184026.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
  • 20171117_183432.jpg
    20171117_183432.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 257
Going into day 3 looking good, I can see some fresh root growth on the marsilea hirsuta and a couple of new sprouts, the eleocharis parvula is harder to see any difference in at the moment.

The humidity seems to be going well with an average temp of 19 degrees, I'm running the light for 12hrs at the moment and a 5 minute period of a quarter of the tank unwrapped and sprayed a couple of times with just tap water.

It might be a bit soon to say but I'm feeling quite hopeful of this being a success at this point.
20171127_130758.jpg

Looking great, liking the mountain scape you have created, like the top stone will be emersed :thumbup:, good luck with the DSM... I recently start my own DSM but using UG... also have a very similar set and am using a ADA moonlight, those ADA led don't half put out a lot of light :cool:.

Before you start fertilising it is probably worth noting that your tank it is 80l not 120l. I hope that's useful.

Ahhh just had to google that, I must have seen it said as 120l somewhere. I will count as I fill it to be sure as I know there will be a huge displacement anyway but thanks for the heads up.

Looking great, liking the mountain scape you have created, like the top stone will be emersed :thumbup:, good luck with the DSM... I recently start my own DSM but using UG... also have a very similar set and am using a ADA moonlight, those ADA led don't half put out a lot of light :cool:.
Yeah I am pretty surprised at the amount of light from the unit tbh, so far so good with some great growth all over now in just under a week so really looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Good luck with your start.

So thought I would give another quick update as I had the camera out for a play last night, excellent growth all over now with shoots and roots sprouting all over the tank including the eleocharis parvula.

I really should get a macro lens but thought I would share a couple of semi macro shots.
growth1small.jpg
root1small.jpg

When I first thought about using Marsilea Hirsuta for it's undemanding needs I also accepted it to be slow growing and did not expect to see much progress anytime soon...... Well I'm seeing rapid growth daily now from shoots to root structure I'm really quite amazed!

If this is in fact it's "slow growth rate" I'm intrigued by what the results are like on fast growers....
20171204_101934.jpg

Back