• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Monte carlo has melted. Planted Saturday, how long shall i leave it to recover before i pull it out

Sjp_aquascape

16141064853933143360300061751296.jpg

aquascape1987

It’s hard to know, and a difficult call to make, but I don’t reckon much for the chances of it recovering.. Such a delicate plant, so recently planted,with no established roots, I think recovery from such a devastating blow in this early stage, is unlikely. I had the same thing happen with Monte Carlo and I never had success with it. I wondered the same as you when it happened, but I decided after a day or so to remove it. Replaced it with HC Cuba, which took very well, and I had success with. Ironically, Cuba is supposed to be a more difficult plant to grow 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Sorry to say, but I would hazard that it’s knackered. Someone else with experience of initial melt with this plant, and then successful, healthy growth afterwards might weigh in and correct me though, as I didn’t have the patience to persevere with it when mine melted.

Last edited:

Simon Cole

Someone else with experience of initial melt with this plant, and then successful, healthy growth afterwards might weigh in and correct me though
I suppose that might as well be me. I have got about 50% recovery on thicker stems where the leaves have melted, but this percentage dropped on thinner stems. Most of the time I buy far too much and it covers well even with a sparse amount surviving.

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hello,
A very high probability that this is due to poor CO2 brought on by either too much light, inadequate CO2 technique or poor flow/distribution - or, any combination of these.

If there is anything left remove them from the tank and keep semi-submersed in a plastic cup. Some new shoots may grow...a longshot.

As noted above, carpet plants are not easy and their failure indicates a flaw in the tanks overall infrastructure.

Cheers,

fabihanski

not quite the same I know. But I had a cub of IV HC a month ago or so, it looks really sorry for itself when it arrived so I placed it in a container with foil and left it sitting on the top of the soil emersed. All of the leaves rotted and melted off but the stems stayed, a month later, about half has regrown and in the past week, its exploded. I would persevere and see what happens. As long as it doesn't affect water quality, you should wait it out

Sjp_aquascape

Thanks for all your responses. I removed all the dead bits, and the remaining bits which where left where cleaned up by my Endlers. We are now week 4 and the monte Carlos are growing (albeit slowly) it will take a few months to carpet though