• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Too much light in comparison to co2 as per the lighting thread.

co2 should be on probably 4 hours before lights. On a new tank with no livestock leave it on 24/7 go bright yellow. 👍😃

Daily water changes for 1st week if you can 50% is a minimum.

Aren't you then going to run into issues when you bring down the CO2 when it's time to add livestock? I'd rather get the adjustment period over early then keep the CO2 consistent.

I followed the exact same advice when I set up my AS900, co2 was high for the first few weeks to help the plants acclimatise. As you are exceeding the 'optimum' amount (lime green drop checker) you can easily drop it back down slowly without any downsides. If there is an excess of Co2 then the plants are already getting their fill giving you the 'slack' to gently drop it back down to the right level.

Had the co2 running all day yesturday gonna be leaving it going like that for another week to see what happens also gonna go a 50% water change for the week also done the pre fillter cleaning on the bio master thermo 600 so all running as it should 🙃 fingers crossed the Monte Carlo is just adapting to it’s emerged state and gonna be reshooting new leaves 🍃

I actually lost a whole batch of MC (7 cups of ADA tissue culture) when I created my 60f 6 weeks ago. I sometimes think the choice in substrate has a lot to do with how you "start" your tank. Its almost as if Amazonia requires less ferts initially than other substrates. I even added PowerSand which boosted the nutrients even more. Funny enough, my crypts, Buce and pinnatifida are doing very well. Also got a lot to do with experience - UKAPS has helped me lot. Wish I discovered these threads months ago. Also made the mistake to add livestock too early and not running the CO2 at a higher rate for longer. Hope your MC recovers soon Nathan.

Flow is king for carpet plants good flow + good co2 distribution as @Siege says keep the co2 in the yellow help them adjust as quickly as possible going from 400ppm co2 to 30 in a couple of hours is going to cause the plants to stress and melt so help them.out as much as possible I do almost 100% water changes first week so the plants get a huge gulp of co2 during the change and it helps a lot

In my experience, MC is not a very demanding plant. I propagated an initial batch I got 3 years ago to various tanks and even sold some. I grew it in high tech high light tanks and low tech, lowlight tanks as well. Currently I have a large clump sitting in a bucket waiting to be transferred to a new tank. One thing I did different from you is that I did a dry start with the initial tank. This enabled strong root growth so that when I flooded it, it had a lot more to draw from while it adjusted to my water parameters. I am not sure whether you have the ability to do a dry start in another small tank and transfer from there. One more advice would be to lower your light brightness. In my tank that has the Twinstar 600, I find that it suffers at full brightness until it has taken full root. I use Tropica Specialized as well by the way. In my 20 gallon tank I use 6 pumps per week and the Monte Carlo is quite healthy.

I actually lost a whole batch of MC (7 cups of ADA tissue culture) when I created my 60f 6 weeks ago. I sometimes think the choice in substrate has a lot to do with how you "start" your tank. Its almost as if Amazonia requires less ferts initially than other substrates. I even added PowerSand which boosted the nutrients even more. Funny enough, my crypts, Buce and pinnatifida are doing very well. Also got a lot to do with experience - UKAPS has helped me lot. Wish I discovered these threads months ago. Also made the mistake to add livestock too early and not running the CO2 at a higher rate for longer. Hope your MC recovers soon Nathan.
Hi thanks for your message the mc is going stringy but have noticed New leaves appearing which looks to be a good sign I just have to sit tight and see what happens over the next couple of months gonna be doing 50% water changes and have the co2 set to come on 4 hours before lighting also have increased the lighting

In my experience, MC is not a very demanding plant. I propagated an initial batch I got 3 years ago to various tanks and even sold some. I grew it in high tech high light tanks and low tech, lowlight tanks as well. Currently I have a large clump sitting in a bucket waiting to be transferred to a new tank. One thing I did different from you is that I did a dry start with the initial tank. This enabled strong root growth so that when I flooded it, it had a lot more to draw from while it adjusted to my water parameters. I am not sure whether you have the ability to do a dry start in another small tank and transfer from there. One more advice would be to lower your light brightness. In my tank that has the Twinstar 600, I find that it suffers at full brightness until it has taken full root. I use Tropica Specialized as well by the way. In my 20 gallon tank I use 6 pumps per week and the Monte Carlo is quite healthy.
Thankyou for your message unfortunately I don’t have anything sitting around to grow mc apart from in my tank I would of don’t the dry start but had plants in the aquarium so wouldn’t of been possible I dose 4 plumps of tropica plant food daily and doing 50% water changes everyday once I Finnish work.

The mc is melting but have noticed that there shooting new leaves also the roots are deep into the substrate so hopefully in the next few months they will recover and start spreading 🤞 just a shame to see it all nicely planted to now this but time will tell on the out come

Would it be wise to do it weekly ? Only doing 50% for the past day or 2 due to mc starting to perish so it don’t cause any issues in the long run

Last edited:
Excess ammonia released by new aqua soils can burn some aquarium plants. Tissue culture plants seem less "strong" and are more susceptible.
This is the reason why ADA recommend doing daily water changes in new aquariums.

Back