• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monte Carlo leaf size

Nuno Gomes

Just hit me the other day that the monte carlo leaves in my high tech tank are way too small, it looks pretty much like H. Cuba now, and it never grew that well. Anyone have any idea why this might be? Lack of light? Nutrients? I'd say it's not a flow problem because that tank is very well filtered (90x45x45cm with two canister filters with a combined flow of over 2100LPH).

Any ideas would be appreciated :D

Just hit me the other day that the monte carlo leaves in my high tech tank are way too small, it looks pretty much like H. Cuba now, and it never grew that well. Anyone have any idea why this might be? Lack of light? Nutrients? I'd say it's not a flow problem because that tank is very well filtered (90x45x45cm with two canister filters with a combined flow of over 2100LPH).

Any ideas would be appreciated :D

It will grow smaller leaves under low light. Under hight light they get bigger and plant is even more bushy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that you do get larger leaves over time. If you're not getting them after about three months then something might be wrong. I think that the trigger for larger leaves is simply a larger plant. Keeping it in larger clumps when you are planting probably eases this problem.

I've grew them side by side in the same tank for a few years.. Had to look realy, realy, realy close at the leafshape to keep it apart from eachother. :)

I'm pretty pushed to tell MC and HC apart as well. I just think small is the plants immersed leaf morphology.
I also suspect that regular trimming perhaps induces a smaller leaf size too.
Either way if the plant looks otherwise healthy it's nothing to worry about.

Back