• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

More CO2 is more nutrients?

Mitchel

It is a fact that if you add CO2 it gives better quality plants.
But if you add higher levels of CO2 do the plants also need more nutrients?

cheers.
Mitch

I would say yes. If your plants were somewhat limited in growth by CO2 (carbon is the nutrient the plants need the most of), then increasing the availability of that nutrient will make another nutrient, like say nitrogen, the limiting factor.
As long as your plants are not light limited then more CO2 will increase demand for other nutrients (macros micros).

Hi all,
But if you add higher levels of CO2 do the plants also need more nutrients?
I think both @Hufsa & @plantnoobdude are right and potentially they do, but only if we assume <"that PAR"> is above <"light compensation point">.

In most, fully submerged, aquatic plants <"Total / Dissolved Inorganic Carbon" (T/DIC)"> will be <"Liebig's limiting nutrient">. This is because <"the atmosphere"> contains about <"420 ppm CO2">, against the maximum level of 30 ppm of CO2 aquarists add.

This relationship breaks down for <"floating, or emergent, plants"> which have access to atmospheric gases.
I would say yes. If your plants were somewhat limited in growth by CO2 (carbon is the nutrient the plants need the most of), then increasing the availability of that nutrient will make another nutrient, like say nitrogen, the limiting factor.
As long as your plants are not light limited then more CO2 will increase demand for other nutrients (macros micros).
If @Hufsa had posted that ten minutes earlier it would have saved me a lot of searching and typing. If they had posted it ten minutes later, I would have already written something pretty similar (but probably in less coherent English).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back