• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

More light ?

Katfish

My tank is 6ft long by 2ft wide by 30" deep at the moment I am running 2 x 54w T5's with reflectors.

I am thinking I might need to add more light I am thinking of another 2 54w lamps that would give me a total of 216w of lighting for this tank.

I know about wpg but that was based on the T8 tubes not the new T5 tubes how dose this all relate now?

The tank is a planted tank or should I say the start of

Has lots of crypts, java moss, Java fern, Amazon swords, and a few others in at the moment and soon going to be putting in xmas moss etc.

Most of those plants will grow under a candle kat, if you encounter problems growing them then ask and im sure you will find the answers.
Very easy to get sucked into the 'i need more light' cycle when almost always there are other reasons for the issues.
If it aesthetics that concern you and you want a brighter tank then that is a different matter and in turn creates other considerations.

Yes I would like it a little bit bright too but that is more down to me I want to do what is best for the plants and fish and being the size of tank it is turn it is to more of a focal point than the TV if you get my drift.

Easiest way to make it brighter is too add reflectors if you dont have them already, just be sure to pay attention to the tank for any signs of algae due to increased light, to be safe add one reflector and wait a week or so then add the other.
Otherwise higher Kelvin rated tubes like 10k tend to be a lot whiter to the eye than 6500k which can be a bit yellow and duller, the plants dont care either way.
Is this a low tech tank?

I am have reflectors and have 14k T5's from iquatics as that's what they recommended to me due to the depth.

I have injected co2 and dosing EI salts

The tank it self is filtered by a 4ft sump with a ocean runner 3500 return pump and a magnum 350 canister filter and to aid flow I am using 2x ciru pump (wave makers) rated at 3200ltr each.

so is this high tech or low tech as I have not a clue

any injected co2 or liquid carbon dosing makes a tank high tech.
More light means you need to inject more co2 and ferts, as to how much light you need i cant fairly answer. I would suggest that someone with a similar sized tank would be able to advise better but cant see an issue with 4 x 54w on a 6ft tank as long as your flow,co2 and ferts match up to added light.

Ok I think I will go with 2 more light but this time I will go with growlux to give it more of a natural look as at the moment it looks to clinical if you get what I mean.

or is there another combination I can go with with 2x 14k t5 and 2 something else ?

There are hundreds of combinations....for softer colours go down in the kelvin rating, most 10k + tend to be used on marine to make coral colours pop but is all down to personal preference.
Why not buy 4 or 5 cheap varying kelvin ratings from B n Q or an electric wholesalers as they are the same thing and see what you like? If you still want to spend £25 a tube at least then youll know what colours you like. Personally i really like giessemann powerchrome midday bulbs, they are 6500k ish rated but still nice and white and great on greens.

Be sure when you add the light to do it very gradually. Just have the extra tubes on for an hour mid light cycle for a week then increase to 2 hours etc... This will give you the time needed to adjust your co2 and for the plants to adjust.

Thanks will do and thanks for the heads up on introducing more lighting to the plants etc.

I have just looked on the QVS site as I have one of there outlets near me and they have a 6500k listed for £5 so I think I will go get that.

Back