• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mori no shinden

OK so been doing a bit of maintenance and noticed a few holes in leaves. I guess I have failed to take into account the huge plant mass compared to my initial set up and havnt provided them with the nutrients they require. I'm uppin me ferts and hopeing to see an improvement.

Still playing with co2/surface movement but no fauna are struggling St the mo

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

6eqesyqy.jpg

Had a trim back of the hygrophila today, it grows way to fast for my liking and the lack of structure in this tank is starting to get on my nerves, for example the rotala rotundifolia next to the hygrophila polysperma is to much of a contrast then the limnophilia aromatica on the right. This seems like a better transition but I have lost the pink hue since I have turned my lights down.

The rotala seemed to stop growing much at all after I had a huge hack back a month or so ago but seems to be picking up again.

As far as BBA is concerned, I'm not seeing any new growth and now its just a case of treating the stubborn bits left around and getting them eaten.

I think I'm going to be doing a fair amount of tidying up over the next couple of weeks and hopefully I can get this tank to a point I am happy with......... :rolleyes: but as pointed out by Rosie (the "better" half :D) I usually have 2 weeks of being happy with a tank until I "hate them" <--- her words with air quotes haha oh well.

Thanks for reading and any words from the wise as to composition always welcome

Ali

Attachments

• 6eqesyqy.jpg
    6eqesyqy.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 84
Hey ali
All looks very healthy and vibrant.
If I were you where the polysperma is in the centre back id remove it and allow a kind of valley/pathway between the two rocks. Maybe add a smaller plant there or leave it totally open giving you almost 2 islands right and left??? The things that stand out the most is the anubias on the left rock and the piece of wood on the far right. It looks out of place like it shouldnt be there. Or more draws your eye away from the rest of the tank.
Not that your tank looks rubbish, far from it its very nice mate.

Thanks Al :D

I know its not a great "scape" but im still learning to grow plants and get my ferts right at the mo. I keep threatening to take to wood out then bottle it at the last second!! Its the only thing that adds any night to the layout. the anubias is far to big. I added the hygro in an attempt to bring it more into balance but Im just not getting on with hygro at all.

I'm going to think on this. I could continue the parva and eleocharis up to the back.....

Hey Ali,...:) Glad you are putting up an awesome fight. The tank's looking great mate. Even the plants look much healthier compared that earlier picture with a fish in it. I think the light that you have there might still be a tad too high for the amount of co2 injected,...please don't get me wrong and this is just my 2 cents though,....i know that you have lost the red colours in some of the plants & since you are currently trying to balance the light & co2 factor,....wouldn't you think it might be a good idea to use simply T8s ( about 1 wpg) for the next 2 months or so,...y'know so that it might help the plants to settle in. The carpet might not form well but atleast it will give the stems to plump up nicely & stabilize the tank. Then after the 2 month period, you could focus on upping the co2 first for 2 weeks followed by an increase in light intensity to help the carpet plants.

Hey Ali,...:)

Hi Faizal, thanks for the input as far as lighting in concerned I think I'm more inclined to buy a controller for the tile as I want the option there for the future. I'm not running the lighting as you see it in the photo that is purely for photography, I also don't have any spare lighting except a mini 400 tile and that's not gonna cut it I don't think. The carpet I'm not really concerned about, I have had a nice thick HC carpet in the past and as nice as was I want to concentrate on stems for the time being. I think the issue I'm having is flow more than co2 and like I mentioned before the lack of ferts. They where fine to start of with but the plant mass has close to doubled and I kept the same fert routine.

9yby8avy.jpg

More phone shots... Can't find the time in the evening to take pictures at the moment.....I think its because I tend to be in bed by 9.30 :confused:

Anyway......I'm still considering taking the wood out but Rosie (the Mrs) really likes it..... But I find the wood to be to much of a decision between the too sides.

I removed the h. polysperma and have added some blyxa Japonica.

I like the shape and I'm thinking about what I would like in the left behind the rock.

Its a bit of a mess with random crypts in the for ground but I have developed a fondness for them recently :)

Cheers for reading my rambling :D

Ali

Attachments

• 9yby8avy.jpg
    9yby8avy.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 82

Attachments

• 12910505983_88b5f6a966_c.jpg
    12910505983_88b5f6a966_c.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 12910847484_8d9daaab75_c.jpg
    12910847484_8d9daaab75_c.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 12910849594_efab36d7f7_c.jpg
    12910849594_efab36d7f7_c.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 12910407465_813924c592_c.jpg
    12910407465_813924c592_c.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 12910842424_9ee412d696_c.jpg
    12910842424_9ee412d696_c.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 12910841024_e40bb6d7c8_c.jpg
    12910841024_e40bb6d7c8_c.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 91
Very nice Ali, but with a co2 diffuser as big as that you may as well have a Twinstar in there :D lol

Very nice Ali, but with a co2 diffuser as big as that you may as well have a Twinstar in there :D lol
Ha yeah its a beast but I smashed one of the 2 I had in rotation and this was £7 from the LFS its really good too but probably because its made for 200ltr And up :)

Good decision swapping out the Hygrophillia for the Japonica, subtle differences make a massive change. I'd leave the wood in there ;)

Well my inline heater gave up a few days ago... Again.... Had 2 fail on me now...... I think I will stick with an internal for the time being. Also in the middle of moving house so this has been a bit neglected but when I'm settled I will be doing an over haul :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back