• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I'm trying to grow some moss balls with moss I collected (looks like Java moss) and some left over plants I had in my propagator. The balls are filled stockings with some ADA substrate and stones, wrapped spaghnum and (Java) moss around it and tight the plants on top of that covering their roots with some moss.
2014-10-12085642_zpse77b7043.jpg

Tight only UG on top of this one.

2014-10-12085804_zps6c3f8ff2.jpg

A local collected fern and some Monte Carlo on this one.

2014-10-12085910_zps84bd9a96.jpg

On this one there is some Monte Carlo, Riccia, Rotala and Hemianthus.

Lets see what it does. I made some pots with bog plants before, but I always got fungus problems. I hope that dipping them under water for 10 minutes to 1 hour daily (as I did read on a website) would help to prevent this.
Does anyone else had some experience with this?

Looks great but does the Mrs know that you have used her stockings yet? ;) ha ha ha

I particularly like the MC one at the end. Its a really good idea, I'm guessing that they sink on their own? The only problem would be when they grow and spread they will loose their shape and eventually become lost in the undergrowth ;) But a really good way to start a growth off.

Hi Martin, Love your idea :thumbup: The W-K with the UG on don't add ferts .UG is a member of the liverwort family.Adding ferts could kill it.
Keeping the W-K balls too wet will cause mould.The spag moss should help with this as it is has a natural antiseptic just keep them damp not wet :)

Really looking forward to seeing them 6 months down the line :) they look a bit like something served up in a fancy restaurant at the moment ;) ha ha ha

Hi Martin, Love your idea :thumbup: The W-K with the UG on don't add ferts .UG is a member of the liverwort family.Adding ferts could kill it.
Keeping the W-K balls too wet will cause mould.The spag moss should help with this as it is has a natural antiseptic just keep them damp not wet :)
Thanks for the tip on the UG...I'm thinking of making one more only using sphagnum and java moss as "substrate" for the UG. The W-K's are now standing in about 1 to 2 cm water, would that be considered to be to wet?

Hi Martin,
Looking great the plants have taken off nicely :thumbup: I am looking forward to seeing the UG in a few weeks.As it on my hit list of plants to try in my W-K ;)
Read a tip about how to get UG to flower:woot: Give it a try when the UG has fully grown in.Put it in a container and flood it then over a week or so slowly lower the water level then leave for a week and re flood and again slowly lower the water level again.Then take the W-K out of container this should help it flower :thumbup:

Back