Moss I.D needed

TBRO

Hi, I managed to obtain this quite attractive moss but have no idea what it is/requirements. I want to set up the cube as shown. Should I try and propagate the moss separatley or should I attach it to the wood and let it mature in my main tank before scaping the Cube?

dsc07504.jpg

Thanks, T

gratts

Looks to me like 'flame moss', but I'm not really too up on my mosses!
As to growing it, I'd attach it to the wood from the off - it will probably grow at a similar pace to any other form of propagation and it allows the moss/wood to mature so you can shape/style it sooner.

Dave Spencer

It could well be Leptodictyum riparium "stringy moss". I had some in my 120cm. It does look stringy, and grows upwards. Mine lasted two or three weeks before I got rid of it. It wasn`t to my taste.

Just attach it to the wood, or whatever you want. It is fairly fast growing, without any special requirements I can think of.

Dave.

TBRO

I will try and grow it on the wood in my main tank and I'll get some better macro shots when it matures.

T

TBRO

Just to show what it looks like now it's grown underwater in my main tank. As you guys said stringy moss seems to be the species.

fishtank060.jpg

Thanks T

a1Matt

That defintely isn't stringy moss (sorry). It has the wrong shape fronds and the wrong growth pattern.

I wish I could ID it for you but I can't.

It loks nice though, that is the main thing... really healthy growth you have with it :D

TBRO

Yeah I guess if at the end of the day it grows and looks nice, a name isn't too important

:) T

Steven Chong

Just looks like Java moss to me-- it can definitely grow in that shape. People don't seem to understand these days that Java moss is a very attractive plant. :(