• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID, confirmation please

Trevor Pleco

I got these mosses from another hobbyist some time back and just wanted to confirm what types they are? I understood they were Christmas and Spiky, presumably Spiky in the first pic and in the second comparison pic with both mosses it's on the right hand side left with Xmas on the left and also in the last pic ? Damn bladderwort also making its presence felt in the last pic..

Spiky moss ?

5Dmossonselectsdownload022.jpg
[/URL]

comparison pic – xmas on the left and spiky on the right, I think ?

5Dmosscanonselectsdownload027.jpg

Xmas ?

5Dmossselectsdownload028.jpg

it defo looks like spiky moss. nothing near to my one (as I have the same as the right). And I managed to confirm ID of mine (Xmass)

Mosses are almost impossible to ID, even for bryologists. So for aquarium purposes we use these fantasy names which are mostly derived from their growth habit (spikey, flame, christmas, weeping, etc.) That said, the first one looks like spikey/regular javamos. And the second indeed more christmas moss.

This is confusing... I thought java moss, Taxiphyllum barbieri and spiky,Taxiphyllum sp, were different things ? I used to have java, it looked different to the pic I posted of what I thought was spiky, it always grew in an uncontrollable bushy mess whereas the one in the pic has more structure and shape and seems easier to grow on things ..

If it grows "more structured"than the Java (that you know, and can therefore compare to) it's likely to be Spiky, since that is one of the obvious differences to these two.
I agree the x-mas looks like x-mas and the Spiky look like Spiky, to me too. So you probaply have, what you think you have :D
Mosses grow different under different environments.........like all other plants ............and this is another reason, we're so reluctant to play the "name-the-moss-game" here ;). Pictures just aren't good enough !
Mick.

Back