• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID help please

Eboeagles

I've had lots of different types of moss over the last year and now I'm more organised / experienced I'm trying to keep them separate so I don't end up with big balls of mixed moss again.

So these are my current mosses - can someone help me ID them please?

I'm assuming they should be xmas, peacock and java as they are mosses I have had the most of, but I've also had weeping at some point as well + a couple of others

photo.jpg

photocopy.jpg

photocopy2.jpg

I have tried to look at aquaticmoss.net to identify but I'm finding it pretty difficult as most of them look very similar to me!

Thanks in advance.

phil

Eboeagles said:
sr20det said:
I am no expert but the first looks like xmass moss, just on the shape. Xmas tree like?

I initially thought the same but I'm not too sure

Looking on here:
http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm

now Im thinking no. 2 is the xmas moss? I have loads of 2 which Im happy about as its my favourite!

Its could be peacock moss no 2? Sure someone can confirm.

sr20det said:
Eboeagles said:
sr20det said:
I am no expert but the first looks like xmass moss, just on the shape. Xmas tree like?

I initially thought the same but I'm not too sure

Looking on here:
http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm

now Im thinking no. 2 is the xmas moss? I have loads of 2 which Im happy about as its my favourite!

Its could be peacock moss no 2? Sure someone can confirm.

I can confirm that moss no. 2 is definitely not peacock moss, its appearance is similar to no.1

No. 3 could be spiky moss Id imagine.

Can you remember any of your sources and names of mosses you remember purchasing. Could make it ALOT easier.

Regards,

Hi
Nr. 1 is most likely peacock, but COULD be spiky, actually (if u ever had this?)
Nr. 2 is quite surely the christmas.
Nr. 3 is quite surely not spiky (would have had more divided new growth this size). Most likely plain java (taxiphyllum barbieri) - note the thin, new growth and the quite dark, old parts.
Hope this helps, but sure, knowing what u've had in the tank would help a lot:)
Mick.

I would say no 2 is pearl moss (although quite difficult to see as the photo is a little blurred) and no 3 is flame moss. Unsure about no 1.

Thanks guys. I love number 2 it's quite fluffy and soft in comparison to most. I'll try for another photo.

I've never had pearl but wanted to so heres hoping!

Only just had spiky but it's not been in my tank so definitely more likely flame although I have a lot of that & it looks different. Could well be java although not had that for ages...

Id say number 1 is Xmas Moss
2 is Pearl Moss
3 has seen better days, but likely to be Java Moss

With the danger of this being a neverending discussion :) I'd expect flame to b far more "zig-zagging". It growslike a bonfire ( hense the name )
Mick.

Back