• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID

Simmo

Hi All,
I’d appreciate a few opinions on this moss species. Bought as Java moss from Ebay agter preferred suppliers tan out it looks to me more like wild harvested something. Maybe sphagnum?!
It’s been in the tank a couple of weeks and was much greener when it arrived, it has quite woody stems shown in one of the pics.
I wont quote anyone personally but if others agree it is not likely to be Java I’ll state that others aquarists I’ve asked agree it’s something else and request a refund. So only comment if you’re OK with that.
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi all,
others agree it is not likely to be Java I’ll state that others aquarists I’ve asked agree it’s something else and request a refund
<"Something else" for me">, but putting <"definitive names to mosses is incredibly difficult">. If you have a moss with a spore capsule and <"access to a microscope">, you can make a guess, but it is still only a guess.

This is Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barberi) from the Aquamoss website. Which I think should be good enough to show that what you have isn't Java Moss.

Java-Moss-Closeup-Leaves-02-s.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back