• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

moss in the pond

stemag

hi all just wondering i have built a water feature in my pond with a large plant pot filled with large stones and water coming through the top will willow or java moss live on the this it will be out of the water but will have water trickeling over it and would it survive our winters thanks

Hi all,
Willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica) is fine with our winters, but needs to be submerged. Java moss isn't hardy. Stringy moss (Leptodictyon riparium) would work as it is hardy and will grow wet emersed.

This is my garden pond, I made terraces out of the limestone rubble I dug out of the hole and the are now covered in moss (you can see it on the left hand side of the photo). It grows immersed and emersed as the water level fluctuates, and maybe Calliergonella cuspidata <Calliergonella cuspidata - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database>.

pond_view_june2012b.jpg

pond_moss_june2012.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Immense pond Darrel
nice pond by the way
Thanks, the water is rapidly disappearing under all the plants, so I'll have to have a thin at some point. One problem is that I've had a few sedges from field courses etc that I couldn't identify, so I've taken a bit and stored it in the pond until it fruited so I could get an ID. The result of all of this is that I now have a pond full of rampant sedges, and I still don't know what they were. One or two I have been able to identify (like Carex hirta and C. pseudocyperus), but now I can't remember we they came from now.
Reminds me of the amazing Glasgow botanics carnivorous plant house
Never been, but that looks just gorgeous. I'd really like a shady glasshouse, there were a couple at Munich Botanic Gardens that had me thinking about what I might like if I won the lottery.....
wasserpflanzen.jpg

karnivoren.jpg

<Glasshouse complex: Munich Botanical Garden>

cheers Darrel

How about fissidens ? Its a very hardy mos and should suit your needs nicely. Its almost impossible to kill

Thought I would try some riccardia on and near my waterfall, but then our winters are mild compared to the U.K

Back