• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss Master Class...

OK So, Im going to set up a shrimp tank and naturally want to have a fair bit of nice lush moss in there.
But I am confused about the right way to deal with moss when you buy it...

It comes in long strands, and I want my moss to grow vertically from a flat base. But in my mind, I keep thinking it won't grow thick if I do what Im doing.

I have laid the moss portions flat onto mesh and secured it with a few silicone bands. But how will the moss grow upwards ? will it do so from every leaf node ? If not, I can't see it ever becoming a thick pad.

Please help.

Yes it will become a thick pad. Things that contribute to its thickness are:

-Trimming is the main variable. Trim it as soon as it starts growing.
-Light. If you have very little light it might not grow as lush. Depends a lot on the moss species you have.
-CO2. It will help any plant and also moss.

Fissidens is good for this just tie it on and trim often it will cover eventually
Flame moss could be good too and grows straight up it may take more work longer to cover though
If its a shrimp only tank lower temperatures are good 20-22c is good
Low light low tech seems the way to go with shrimp tanks

My usual mantra: "choose the right plant for your needs".
Different plants have different growth-patterns - this goes for different mosses, too. So choose the moss with the growth-form you desire.
- if you are after a "straight upward" (though curly) Flame-moss is obvious.
Placing the "strings" of newly puchased moss horizontally will not change the genetic growth-habit; Flame-moss will still grow on vertical and Weeping-moss will still grow on in a hanging manner. The horizontal placement of strings will induce better branching, from origonal "string", though.
Cutting (especially vertical) new growth will induce branching, too - but also remember, that all trimming away of healthy growth will reduce amount of plant-mass capable of producing energy for new growth. This in consequence mean, that trimming a "less than good health" plant may not induce more branching, but reduce overall strength of plant instead. In such case NOT trimming would actually benefit the plant more, and then maybe trim later.

My usual mantra: "choose the right plant for your needs".
Different plants have different growth-patterns - this goes for different mosses, too. So choose the moss with the growth-form you desire.
- if you are after a "straight upward" (though curly) Flame-moss is obvious.
Placing the "strings" of newly puchased moss horizontally will not change the genetic growth-habit; Flame-moss will still grow on vertical and Weeping-moss will still grow on in a hanging manner. The horizontal placement of strings will induce better branching, from origonal "string", though.
Cutting (especially vertical) new growth will induce branching, too - but also remember, that all trimming away of healthy growth will reduce amount of plant-mass capable of producing energy for new growth. This in consequence mean, that trimming a "less than good health" plant may not induce more branching, but reduce overall strength of plant instead. In such case NOT trimming would actually benefit the plant more, and then maybe trim later.

Thanks... but, I have to be honest I have no idea what most of this means. I have willow moss and java moss and cameroon moss. What you have written in context of that, and my original question, is still a bit misty, so could you explain like I'm five, lol

"Cameroon moss" I don't know about (google suggest it's a liverworth (Plagiochila) and tolerant of shade) but neither Willow (Fontinalis) or Java (Taxiphyllum) will grow in a really up-right manner. They will both grow up-and-sideworts, in a bushy manner. This is their growth-pattern.
They are both VERY tolerant and easy mosses to grow. Can be tied on to anything, with string or fishing-line, or left untied in a clump somewhere in the tank and grow on happily. Both will grow nicely without added CO2 to your tank (but will grow more dense with added CO2). Both of them can grow in very little light (but will do better with adequate light).
Both Willow and Java will usually branch very well without being cut - so cutting is only needed to reduce size, when they grow too big. Offcuts can then be used elsewhere.
How you place the strands doesn't matter much. The moss will send out plenty new strands and grow thick and lush.
Good luck - it's really not very difgicult

Back