• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss suggestions

EA James

Hi all,
I’m after some moss for my tank. I want some that creeps and attaches itself quite well to hardscape (wood)
I’ve tried weeping moss which grew quite well but it got bushy instead of spreading, I’d like some that will creep up the branches etc
Tanks has injected co2 and medium to high light.
Can be specific but didn’t think I’d need to be with this post?!
Cheers, James

Just had a bit of a look on google and it looks really nice. Tropica site says it’s advanced though and as you know I’m not! Should I worry about that?

Just had a bit of a look on google and it looks really nice. Tropica site says it’s advanced though and as you know I’m not! Should I worry about that?

Fissidens is a lovely moss, and grows relatively easily with minimal input in my limited experience of it. I'm not sure it will 'creep' over hardscape though, mine just grew outwards from the point I originally tied or glued it - though maybe I didn't trim it hard enough.

If by 'creep' you mean to grow along hardscape like terrestrial ivy does along tree branches, none of the mosses I have used have grown in that way, they all just grow outwards from their point of attachment - you basically have to tie or glue them where you want them to grow (tying works much better for a dense and well attached base). The only moss I have that appears to grow out laterally is Cameroon moss (incidentally another very pretty moss), but as its a very slow grower I'm yet to find out if those lateral shoots will actually attach to adjacent hardscape.

Hi all,

It will do, it just spreads laterally really slowly. I tend to leave mine, but if you prune it encourages it to spread laterally. Java moss attaches, but it is a scruffy grower, even with pruning.

cheers Darrel

I wondered if it might have been my lack of pruning - in my old tank my tufts grew so big they ended up detatching at the base. In the new tank it's easier to trim.

I've learnt to hate java moss, it ended up invading every corner of my old tank, and into the carpet plants - I got to wishing I'd never added it!

Thanks for the info @Wookii that's good to know. I was hoping for a moss that might creep (as you mentioned, like ivy) so i could cover more surface area of my wood for a more natural look but i guess with more careful and planned gluing/tying i can achieve this myself!
I think I'll go with the Fissidens then as it looks nice, simple as that!

Java moss attaches, but it is a scruffy grower,
Not for me then! I don't want anything scruffy in my pride and joy 😆😆

Back