Moss Tank?

Discussion in 'Journals' started by RBT89, 4 Aug 2009.

1. RBT89

RBT89 Newly Registered

Hi people.

Basically I am interested in setting up a moss tank but I have no idea how to go about it.

My tank size (from memory) is about L 100cm x W 30cm x H 40cm. Holding 120 litres (31 US gallons).

How many WPG should I go for? (any links to lighting products?)
    Best mosses to grow?
    What substrate to use?
    Would I need to use fertilizers for moss or would that just promote algae?

At this moment in time I don't fancy putting all my efforts into a full high tech planted system but might "upgrade" to more challenging plants in the future, would it be worth me using a substrate such as Aqua Soil just in case I do end up wanting to plant more heavily?

A perfect example of an aquascape I love: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... iginal.jpg

I would love to incorporate features of Mr. Amano's tank in the link, into my lil 31gallon :thumbup: Is that Xmas moss in the photo?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge etc, I am completely new to freshwater tropical and planted aquariums. I successfully kept saltwater marines for some time and fragged plenty of corals and sold them to my LFS. I have decided to go freshwater as I begin uni in September, not to mention the extra cash I am hoping to save :lol:

One last thing. When I kept marines I learned about the dreaded Red Slime Algae that appeared on one corner of my substrate (turned out my sand was "too fine") are there any nasty substrate issues I should be aware of now so I can prevent them before I begin?

Sorry for being such a "newbie" over a moss tank. I just wanna do this right and learn everything I can before I begin like I did my marines.

Thanks, Rob. :wave:

2. mattyc

mattyc Member

mosses dont take their ferts from the substrate therefore you are free to use anythink like sand or gravle (someone will orrect me if i am wrong).

more light will need more co2 and ferts etc,

i tryed to work with moss but it didnt go well so i stuck with plants!!

a low tech tank is what you should be looking but this wil limit you to what you can grow, co2 systems can be baught for £12 for a fermenting style system (i have one spair just incase!!) and a pressureised system can be made for under £100.

high flow filters are a must to circulate nutriants around the plants.

i would go with about 1.5 wpg for a low light (using T5 tubes) and go higher for higher tech.

if you use plants you will need a slightly beter substrate i use ADA aqua soil you should have a look at

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/

to help with ideas for your tank.

Regards Matt

3. RBT89

RBT89 Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply Matt.

What problems did you face with growing moss?

As for the lighting I already own a T5 Arcadia Luminaire, ( 4 x 39W tubes) but currently the tubes are "Marine White", Im guessing I would be ok to just change the tubes to a different light spectrum rather than buying a new unit?

Thanks, Rob.

4. mattyc

mattyc Member