• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss troubles...

Myrtle

Hi, I am having trouble with getting my mosses (weeping & java) to root. I seem to recall reading somewhere on here (or did I dream it? :lol: ) that mosses aren't all that keen on very hard water. It is tied to lava rock so it shouldn't be to difficult but after 2 months it's still constantly floating to the surface and bunging up the filter intake :rolleyes: . Itook one of the smaller rocks out last weekend to see what had actually attached and it was one lonely strand! Am I just being impatient?

Weeping moss does attach to hardscape. However there are a range that either don't or take very long to do so. For me Spiky Moss never attaches to wood or rocks.

I think it roots more quickly onto wood than it does onto rocks. My Java took forever to get a hold on some slate and in the end I took it off and put it on some wood, it seems to be rooting more happily on that. I think only one or 2 strands rooted on to the slate in the end, and that was after several months.

Back