• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mosses

Cro

What is a good moss for clinging to wood after removing fishing line? I have 2 mosses on my wood at present (stop sniggering) and one of them has stayed behind and the other hasn't, obviously the one I liked best hasn't. I want to cover more of the wood with moss but want to be able to remove the fishing line within a few weeks and have the moss stay in place, recommendations please. :thumbup:

IME Weeping moss and java moss attach well; flame moss and fissidens attach poorly/slowly and spiky moss doesn't attach at all.

Superman said:
I found that Java Moss clung well to wood and rocks after a while.
I'm currently trying Weeping Moss and not sure if that's taken hold as yet.

May i ask where you got your weeping moss from as i am struggling to find some at the moment?

andyh said:
Superman said:
I found that Java Moss clung well to wood and rocks after a while.
I'm currently trying Weeping Moss and not sure if that's taken hold as yet.

May i ask where you got your weeping moss from as i am struggling to find some at the moment?

I managed to get some off a forum user under the "pay it forward" scheme. When I have cuttings, I'll be offering them up on the forum under the same terms. I would of thought I'd have some in the next few weeks.

Hi all,
I've also got a couple of unknown aquatic mosses. They both have capsules, so I wondered if someone might like to give me a probable I.D. Both mosses are happy without CO2 or feeding, and have grown in a small tank (20l) on a north facing window sill with an additional 3 x 8W 6500K T5 "Boyu" light. The tank contains Cherry Shrimp, MTS and a couple of Assassin snails.

http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/dw1305/aquatic_mosses.jpg "Moss 2" at top of image.

aquatic_mosses.jpg

Moss 1 creeps across the wood etc, and fastens on really strongly, even to the aquarium glass, it forms loose mounds and I had thought that it was real "Java Moss" Taxiphyllum barbieri, but that apparently doesn't "fruit" in captivity.I now wonder whether Singapore Moss - Vesicularia dubyana is more likely?

Moss 1 capsule
aquatic_mosses_clup1a.jpg

Moss 2 is a much lighter green, and forms great "cushions of feathery fronds. I wonder if this another Taxiphyllum, as it has a soft texture.
Moss 1 capsule
aquatic_mosses_clup2c.jpg

Any suggestions welcomed

cheers Darrel

Darrel
I'm not an expert but the first one looks like Xmas moss. Mine attaches to wood and stone very firmly and propagates quickly. I use EasyCarbo. I have some in a jar next to the aquarium, ambient temperature and seems to survive (4 weeks now).

So the OP: XMass moss is a good for attaching to wood.

Hi all,
Just to re-open this thread as I've taken some microscope pictures of the "Peacock moss" "leaf" (microphyll).

Here is the cell structure image from Aquamoss <http://www.aquamoss.net/Peacock-Moss/Peacock-Moss.htm>:
Peacock-Moss-Microscope-02.jpg

and here's the cell structure of my "Peacock moss".
aquatic_moss1.jpg

So that would suggest that "Peacock Moss" is the right I.D.

cheers Darrel

Back