most amazing Oto survival story ever

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Matt Holbrook-Bull, 18 Jun 2008.

1. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

something happened yesterday when I was rescaping my tank that blows my mind...

I was doing a total rebuild, everything out, replace etc.

Id syphoned with a hose pipe all the water out.. to be left with muddy sand in the bottom. In one of the pools I found an Oto that Id missed when I took out all the fish. Anyway, he hoped into the corner, and went straight up the hosepipe as it was syphoning out into the drain outside... I was gutted..poor thing!!

Anyway, i shoveled all the muddy rubbish out, scraped the sides down like you do when you have the chance with an empty tank. Rinsed out, bailed out the water. Rinsed out again...

who do I find swimming about in the cold clear water in the bottom?? The same Oto!!!!

Hed hung on inside the hosepipe for what has to have been 10 minutes, and been washed out the 2nd time I rinsed out the tank.. I hooked him out and put him with the rest.. and hes still with me now 24 hours later, no worse for wear.

How amazing is that? He definitely went up it, and definitely came out again.. couldn't believe it.

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Great story, that one is a survivor ;)

3. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

He is as invincible as my gerbil.

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

he must be a string little guy, they are supposed to be fussy

5. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

In my experience theyre only fussy on relocation, once theyre in and grown theyre bullet proof.. lol however I think you can call siphoned up and squirted back out relocation relocation relocation.

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

:lol: