• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Most quiet external filter

I have Tetratec EX 1200 Plus, and it is super quite. You cannot hear it even when cabinet is opened. I also have older EX 700 for past 13 years and it is in living room, and you also cannot hear it.

Eheim 2224 i have to make sure it’s turned on again at water changes it’s so quiet but the low turnover is an issue.

I had a fluval 306 for years and whilst not 100% silent it was pretty quiet for the most part... do any maintenance to the filter itself though and expect it to be noisy for a few days...

I have Tetratec EX 1200 Plus, and it is super quite. You cannot hear it even when cabinet is opened. I also have older EX 700 for past 13 years and it is in living room, and you also cannot hear it.
I do not know if Tetra is still using the same tech as before, but the Tetratec filters were notoriously known for having a low output flow. We know that the advertised filter output is inflated and/or measured in ideal conditions, which means that the actual filter output is significantly lower, sometimes ~50% of the ideal value. But, at least in the past, the Tetra filters were below this value. Have you measured the flow of the Tetratec EX 1200 in your setup? How far is it from the advertised 1200 lph?

An alternative solution pointed out in this thread is using an external DC circulation pump (a sump circulation pump, or a water circuit pump for central heating or solar water panels/heaters). DC pumps are silent and can significantly improve the flow. You should be able to use such pump instead of the pump in the canister filter, but you would need to remove the impeller from the filter first and check if the filter is actually able to deal with the additional pressure.

I think I may get another TetraTec at some point. I much prefer the simple layout of the Eheim Classics but the Tetra is so much quieter.

I had the Aquael Ultra 1500 running in my bedroom for 7 months. I couldn't hear it unless I opened the cupboard door. One thing that did annoy me was that the pvc pipes touching the tank cabinet would make noise which was my fault as I cut the tubing too short.
This is really strange since I've just bought aquael ultramax 1500 and it's pretty noisy. I have it in cabinet but can hear the hum in the whole room.

Here's the video.

I've tried to remove impeller and it was silent, with impeller I can hear the hum (so it's not PSU) + some noise which should not be there in my opinion.

Back