• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mould on my ei mix

fourmations

hi all

i have made up my npk mixes with tapwater in the past
but have used RO on the last batch

it seems to be forming a mould?
there is white fuzzy lumps in the mix

any thoughts?

rgds

Difficult to draw any correlation unless you had mixed an equivalent mix at the same time using tap and kept them in the same location as a control. The mould could have been due to higher ambient temperatures for example. Having said that, tap might be chlorinated which is a deterrent for a while. You could try adding a few drops of strong acid to your mix and/or keeping it in the fridge to deter mould/bacteria.

Cheers,

thanks ceg

my mix is kept in the cabinet with my external and co2
so it is probably too warm

i read since that you suggest tap water is fine
so thats handier, i have to drive 10 miles to get RO
and i dont use it much

regards

I've had mould on my Easy like Fero, Fospho and Nitro, any thoughts?

Dan Crawford said:
I've had mould on my Easy like Fero, Fospho and Nitro, any thoughts?
You shouldn't get mould with a commercial product. I would presume they put a mould inhibitor in. Normally in Europe they use methyl parabens but there's been loads of talk about possible health risks which are totally unfounded, but thats another story. Keep it cold and dark once opened or add a bit of potassium sorbate. Potassium sorbate does work best at around a pH of 6 so if your solution is >pH 7 it may not be too affective. I've waffled a bit, maybe just add a bit of hydrochloic acid and see if that works.

James

Back