• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mouldy Lotus Bulb

Steven E

Seedling
I got a delivery of plants a week ago from a few different places, but got a Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri) from AE, which arrived just as a bulb.

After planting it into the substrate, leaving only a mm or two exposed I thought i'd see some sprouting in at least a week. The last couple of days or so, I began to notice a slight white furry patch on the gravel, few cm's wide. I realised that was where I'd planted the lotus bulb (it's been a hectic week, Christmas shopping and tank cycling tests etc...).

So tonight I thought i'd excavate a little of the gravel around it, I saw it had absolutely no growth, and what's more was covered in white mould. I pulled it out to take a photo

mouldylotus.jpg

I take it this isn't what it should be doing? Is it dead or should I keep it in there and give it a chance? I've put it back into the gravel for now, left a little bit more of the bulb exposed.

Thanks,
Steve

I'd watch this bulb very carefully. If they rot completely they will make an absolutely disgusting mess. I've had the odd one go off in the past. If it still feels firm it may be OK but if it starts to go soft or if it smells bad I would get rid of it straight away

Maybe best to throw away and ask for a replacement?

I have a N.zenkeri bulb, and it did not do this! It stayed looking the same as I got it for a few weeks, then it suddenly grew roots and leaves.

Did you bury it? I kept mine on the surface of the substrate, I didn't bury it at all until the leaves came. Now I have it HALF buried.

i would think the cause is the fact you burried most of it.
I had a similar problem, with fungus but not mould when i completely burried one, i now chuck them in until they have rooted THEN burry the bulb partially, it seems to stop them going rancid.

Back