• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mountain Range

If anyone can see any possible issue's with the above I would appreciate the heads up
Why the 4-5 hour dawn ordeal ;)
If it’s just to check tank before work, I’d just do a back light or ambient room light

I’d have light times more consistent rather than altering for the weekend - though having said that, I’m rather arbitrary with my own light schedule and most plants manage just fine (but I doubt it’s ideal)

As I’ve mentioned before, (after months :oops:) I finally noticed that Rotala ‘Vietnam H’ra’ was keeping time irrespective of my light schedule - leafs were “opening” sometime before noon, and beginning to “close” 4-5ish
I’d set my photoperiod to start 4-5ish ... needless to say, my H’ra was a sad looking lot
I kept thinking “something” was missing CO2/fertilizer/substrate/shading from other plants/ tap water too soft/intensity (of light) lacking o_O

I like to dose daily @ CO2 or light start but I’ve no idea if this makes much difference, plants do seem happier with daily rather than weekly (or perhaps I so imagine as it suits my intuitive thinking)

Why the 4-5 hour dawn ordeal ;)
If it’s just to check tank before work, I’d just do a backlight or ambient room light

I’d have light times more consistent rather than altering for the weekend - though having said that, I’m rather arbitrary with my own light schedule and most plants manage just fine (but I doubt it’s ideal)

As I’ve mentioned before, (after months :oops:) I finally noticed that Rotala ‘Vietnam H’ra’ was keeping time irrespective of my light schedule - leafs were “opening” sometime before noon and beginning to “close” 4-5ish
I’d set my photoperiod to start 4-5ish ... needless to say, my H’ra was a sad looking lot
I kept thinking “something” was missing CO2/fertilizer/substrate/shading from other plants/ tap water too soft/intensity (of light) lacking o_O

I like to dose daily @ CO2 or light start but I’ve no idea if this makes much difference, plants do seem happier with daily rather than weekly (or perhaps I so imagine as it suits my intuitive thinking)

The 4-5 hr dawn is just a very gentle wake up call.:rolleyes: Once the tank has settled it then sunrise & sunset will be made longer (hopefully avoiding any PIA algae) to represent a normal-ish day.

Weekend time changes purely for me, if I'm in I can see my creation and watch the residents swimming around:happy:. These times will all come into line when everything has settled in.

Daily dosing, my reason for asking about the time is because I have to dose over 7 days (Jebao dp2 auto dosing), my water changes will probably be midday-ish so if I dose early I will half the dose in the water change if I dose afterwards then plants have less time to soak up the ferts, :oops:Saying that its also going to effect Co2 but I don't suppose they will mind as they are getting double the rest of the time.

@Andrew Butler, well let's hope I can get the balance right then. :) There will be lots of carpet with Eleocharis acicularis mini and Monte Carlo, along with some Pogostemon Helferi dotted around and some medium stems namely Staurogyen repens, Alternanthera Reineckii mini, Hottonia and Limnophilia hippuridoides, so if I can get everything balanced no algae problems. I may have been lucky or spoilt on my first scape I only got a bit of BBA which the angels munched on.

I’m with Andrew B on this one, that long low light sounds perfect for algae and I don’t see livestock being all that appreciative either o_O

I’m about 40min dawn/dusk time, but this will shorten to ~30 min, then lengthen again to ~40 min so the notion of 4-5hours of dawn is disturbing my equanimity :nailbiting:
:playful:

Light spectrum also encourages different types of growth - in plants and algae - so, again, I’d suggest a little reading on the topic (in peer reviewed or referenced articles ;)) before committing to “unusual” light schematics

Once plants are established with healthy submerse growth, light play will have a lesser effect - or at least, plants will have enough stored energy to easily recover from any upsets

How’s that for some not very subtle discouragement :rolleyes:

my water changes will probably be midday-ish so if I dose early I will half the dose in the water change if I dose afterwards then plants have less time to soak up the ferts, :oops:Saying that its also going to effect Co2 but I don't suppose they will mind as they are getting double the rest of the time.

I try to do water changes before or after the main light period but have never done any consistent exploration of effects on this
Mark Evans - who accomplished some of the nicest plant growth I’ve seen - felt post-photoperiod water changes (according my sometimes not so perfect recall :oops:) worked best ...
I’m just better at doing pre-light water changes (ie I usually end up putting the night version off )

I don’t recall your fertilization scheme - EI or ADA style or ???

DPD what a shower!:mad: After losing my original soil parcel from Aquarium Gardens on Saturday and ruining my plans, I had contacted AG on Mon and they sent out another bag of soil for delivery Tues:thumbup:, Tuesday comes and DPD says they are delivering both parcels. Guess what? Neither of the 2 deliveries made it, first delivery failed because according to them my premises were closed:stop: I live in a HOUSE the 2nd just never showed up:banghead:! I get more messages this morning from DPD stating they are delivering both again today:) so with baited breath I watch the first delivery (I'm driving at work), eventually he makes the delivery but Leave's the parcel on my front door mat in plain view of everyone passing:eek: it wasn't there by the time I got home:( I again contacted AG about the missing package the only thing I could think off was the 2nd one is coming between 15.30 - 16.30, Its now 19.00 and still no parcel. I have just their App and low and behold the driver is delayed FUNNY that NOT. They really are king useless.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wahoo the dpd guy just dropped the soil off:thumbup: finally I can get on as the put it on the floor in my hall I find a big hole in the side of the packaging and the soil is spilling out. For god's sake what next. Now I've got to contact AG again tomorrow. I'm Glad Dave is a nice understanding guy because I would getting fed up of hearing my voice by now.

So big shout out to Dave @Aquarium Gardens for their customer service:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Following the advice of the more experienced, I'm going to shorten dawn to period to 1hr but I'm going to keep dusk period same length and reduce lum to 0% overnight. I will however be keeping a close eye out for algae. Ferts feeding time now added

Lighting (max 70% over 5 hrs to start, increasing to 8hrs after max luminosity is reached (approx 5 wks))

Mon-Fri
Dawn

Start 12.00.
End 13.00.
Luminosity, blue 50% white 0%.

Sunrise (increasing by 10% each week)

Start 14.00.
End 15.00.
Luminosity, Blue 70% white 70%.

Sunset

Start 20.00.
End 21.00.
Luminosity, Blue 50% white 0%.

Dusk

Start 21.00.
End 23.00.
Luminosity, Blue 0% white 0%.

Sat-Sun
Dawn

Start 11.00.
End 12.00.

Sunrise (as above)

Start 13.00.
End 14.00.
Luminosity, Blue 70% white 70%.

Sunset

Start 19.00.
End 20.00.

Dusk

Start 20.00.
End 22.00.
Luminosity, Blue 0% white 0%.

Co2 approx 8-10 bps (subject to ph profile)

Mon - Fri 12.00 - 20.00
Sat -Sun 11.00 - 19.00

Circulation Pump

as per Co2 times.

Air Curtain

Mon - Fri 21.00 - 00.00
Sat - Sun 20.00 - 23.0

Ferts ( TNC complete until used, double dose).

Feeding time 11 am
38ml TNC + 214ml de-ionised water PW
Daily dosing over 7 days 36ml, until early Jan 2019.

Last edited:
Can one tell me if this is normal Tnc complete ferts prepared for auto dosing after a few days it has settled with sediment? this is what happened when I stirred it up.

After the above problems, I got some advice from @ian_m, @tam and Dave @Aquarium Gardens. I have now decided to go full EI using the TNC complete (3 x dosage) this will be administered over 7 days at 8ml per day without any added water. I wasn't planning on full EI until today when I was thinking about the plants and decided that it will give them the best possible chance if I do. I have now ordered the EI starter kit for when the TNC runs out. I will start looking at adjusting ferts dosage after 4/6wks along with everything else so I am not spending all my time on maintenance instead of enjoying the tank and its inhabitants.

I use limited nutrient dosing methodology

Tropica Aquarium Soil
Tropica Premium 2-6ml daily dose (6ml only after 70-80% water change)
Tropica Specialized 2-4 ml daily dose
- for tap, think rain water
Kessil A160 @ 100% ~ 8h photoperiod + some “dusk/twilight” time
< 100g CO2 per month for a 60 x 45 x 52cm (water height), densely planted tank
Depending on plant volume I may increase/decrease fertilizers ...

My goal is moderate growth with minimal visible algae

It works

I tend to keep wild caught fish species from very “clean” waters so I have no interest in EI (excess) levels of nutrient dosing

Both methods work
- find the balance that suits your schedule and tank :)

In the first couple day after “transplanting”, plants really aren’t doing much, so if it take a few days to get dosing sorted, it’s all fine - just don’t blast the lights 14hours a day ;)

I have a few days a month that end up “no lights” or “14 hour lights” ... it all works in the end
If I start to see algae - water change, tidy, stop forgetting the lights & leaving them on 12-14hours :oops:

I hate cleaning filters so I have Eheims with various media including the coarse blue sponge & the fine white stuff :p - it can really hold an amazing amount of “mud” before the flowrate slows (what Eheim Professional Series is good at)and there’s visible algae

Soil now topped off and ready for planting. Just got to double check Co2 and airpump timers, Lighting and ADS setup as above, must remember to prime filter with water from holding tank.

20181201_112507.jpg

A wider shot
20181201_112435.jpg

Carpman

It's a pity the tank scratched so badly. Is there any chance of buying the tank only?

Keith:wave::wave:
Yes, you can buy the tank separately, fortunately, it's not so bad when flooded. The unit is not in the best condition, and to be perfectly honest I don't think I would buy another corner tank! When the time comes, possibly next time, I will probably replace it with a 900 opti-white.

Tank has been running for a few days now, I can see some growth from the stuarogyens and the ar mini but I can see the MC and Helferi are beginning to melting! Plants were 1 2 grow, ferts EI, lighting period 5hrs @ 60%, injected co2 @ was 12 bps now reduced to about 8bps.

What would be most likely cause of melt?

Back