• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mountainscape V2

jay said:
This is quite amazing, and very insightful. The set up for the photography is so advanced but with this thread, seems achievable even for a novice like me.

Thank you very much Peter. :)

And I love this pic.... that room is AAALLLL about the tank :lol:

Thanks mate there are 3 tanks in that room. Two on the other side.

Sorry Zig, I have a few more questions matey. lol . Hope you don't mind.

Theres no mention of heating in this tank. Did you use any heating? (Trying to gauge how much equipment you had inline really)

Also with the old '10x' filtering that is usually used I notice that you used a filter with 6(ish.) Did you notice any problems with the circulation or with it being quite a substrate base scape do you think that may have played a part where a traditionally planted scape would've need more circulation due to the plants 'disturbing' the circulation? How much did the 6 blade impellor increase flow by (in your opinion)

AC

I would have thought 10x filtration being quite a hindrance to this scape, maybe uprooting the HC or making it grow in an awkward position?

SuperColey1 said:
Sorry Zig, I have a few more questions matey. lol . Hope you don't mind.

Theres no mention of heating in this tank. Did you use any heating? (Trying to gauge how much equipment you had inline really)

Also with the old '10x' filtering that is usually used I notice that you used a filter with 6(ish.) Did you notice any problems with the circulation or with it being quite a substrate base scape do you think that may have played a part where a traditionally planted scape would've need more circulation due to the plants 'disturbing' the circulation? How much did the 6 blade impellor increase flow by (in your opinion)

AC

Andy no problem with the questions they keep me on my toes around here ;)

Andy there was no heater in the tank until the fish went in, I just used an ordinary in tank heater.

There were no algae problems other than the GDA, so the circulation was fine going by that measure. It was quite an open aquascape really so I didn't expect any real problems using that filter tbh.

When I modified the filter I ran extensive tests, I put my finger over the open outlet tube and felt the water pressure compared to the unmodified filter, this told me after various calculations that the pressure was stronger :)

I didn't do a flow test I will test it out and report back ;)

The flow certainly feels stronger anyway, I would be surprised if the results did not show a 20% + increase after I run the flow test and compare the two impellers.

great photography and its great that youve shown the flash setup. Given me a few ideas for mine as i can borrow studio flash kit from mold camera club that im in :)

How long did you leave it before you added fish as this is something im wondering about for mine as ive only just planted but with an established filter.

Nice work Peter! Congratulations on the Ranking ... a real inspiration. Out of curiosity Have you enterd this scape into the AGA?

Thanks stu! stu the fish were added after the tank had been running for a few weeks, I can't remember exactly when, maybe 4-5 weeks before the photos were taken. I think in future I will start new tanks like this with Seachem stability http://seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html that should avoid the problems I had with the GDA to ensure the filter has sufficient bacteria build up to cope with any problems before I add fish, you can then add the fish any time you want basically, great product I believe.

Thanks planter man! I have entered this tank into AGA along with the first mountainscape, I don't know what they will make of this tank tbh, I think this tank will split juries down the middle, some people will like this tank and some people will not, a small panel of judges would not be in my favour either I imagine. I entered both versions, but on reflection maybe I should have only entered one, don't know what make of that either, 2 similar looking aquascapes by the same entrant, could be a first anyway :D

I bought a second SB600 flashgun to use for photographing my tanks, without realising I can`t use them, or the built in camera flash in commander mode. What a clown! :lol:

The salient point of this thread is that it is the subject that is far and away the most influential aspect of the final photo. The IAPLC has been won by scapes that still look fantastic, despite the awful photo.

Congrats Zig!!

Dave.

Wow
thanks for sharing
And well deserved it is refreshing that you are so happy to share your results I suspect many who had down so well in a competition would have kept them to themselves so had a better chance next time
Well done deserved better

im new on here i can only dream of having a setup like that,my names jaxx.

Mountainscape V2 really surprise me. i am not sure if i could handle same scape. congrats as aga/ada winner :thumbup:

Back