Move to about 3 hours away, how to keep bacteria?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by sari, 5 Dec 2008.

1. sari

sari Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering how to keep bacteria alive for this time? My tanks are looking great but I might be moving and would like to set the tanks up again without cycling. :?:

2. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

I think you'll be fine. Try not to chill them too much. In the magazines they sometimes suggest taking the media out of cannisters and putting it in a bucket of tank water. For a three hour move I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm sure I've turned my filters off for photos and forgotten to put them back on again for three hours, and not noticed any effects!

Mark

3. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

You'll be fine. Last January when I upgraded from my 60L to my Juwel Lido I left my biomax in the bathroom in a bucket with an air pump.

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

I have a battery operated air pump, if you need it I can post it to you and you can post it back when done.
    Just pay for the postage costs.

5. Garuf

Garuf Member

I moved 3 hours away and it went totally seamlessly. It took 6 hours between turning the filter off and back on again. I just didn't feed for a few days in case there was a mini cycle but nothing.

6. hellohefalump

hellohefalump Member

I've heard it takes 12 hours for filter bacteria to die (when kept wet of course) so you should be alright.

I've moved house many times and I usually put all my media in a bucket of tank water with a powerhead running (for a little bit of water circulation) when I can plug it in.

7. sari

sari Member

Thanks for all your replies, they have been most helpful! I think I can stop worrying too much and will be in touch LD if and when I move so I can borrow that battery operated air pump. Luckily logistically it is not going to be too difficult since my bigger tank is only 125 litres and easily moveable. Exciting and scary prospect this moving at the same time... :?