• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving a planted aquarium - HELP

Mark Daniel

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice, I recently setup an aquascaper 900 (2 months old now) but we’re having to move somewhat last minute around 15 miles away.

What’s the best way to move my tank, it’s heavily planted and has literally just cleared through diatoms and algae blooms..

I have plenty of sealed buckets for live stock (6 cardinals, 4 otos and ~20 cherry shrimp) so I’m confident I can move those safely. My main concern is what do I do with the hardscape? Will I need to remove everything? If I drain the water and lift the tank will the tank just explode?

In terms of hardscape I have 20KG of stone, 27KG of soil and around 5KG of wood ( probably more now it’s wet?)

Has anyone moved a tank like this without destroying the hardscape?

Any thoughts would be massively appreciated! If I need to factor in new plants and hardscape then atleast I have an excuse to buy more aquascaping materials :p

Here’s a picture so you can see what I’m trying not to destroy!

1AAD707E-D06C-4197-945A-8790F37A71A7.jpeg

Hi there, Personally I would not not move it when scaped, the tank weighs 42 kilo, plus the substrate plus the hardscape, getting on for 100 kilo.

I moved my 125l once (never again) but had to break down the whole tank first. The livestock and plants were all fine. Kept my filter media damp. Kept substrate damp. All my hardscape had to come out though as the thing weighed a ton! I do not envy the day I move house with my 260l. Might just have to sell to someone who wants a fish tank!

When you put everything back together did you have trouble with ammonia?
Not that I recall. I managed to safe a lot of tank water in bins and buckets. But i just used a load of Prime when refilling and also did water changes for a while after. Like a new setup.

Back