• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving a tank less than 1m

Sammy Islam

Hello people, hope all is well. Probably the most stupid idea, as the title suggests, i would like to be able to move my tank less than 1m to the left. Is it possible? I have a as900 with aquaframe cabinet which sits on top of a sheet of ply. Ideally would like to take out like 80% water, push the ply and slide it across but i assume friction and the weight will impede me.

My good lady moved my 4 foot tank several times as jagillham described. I should buy her a set of wheels for Christmas.

Not sure about your sheet of ply though!! I would catch all livestock and house them in a temporary home and empty water to substrate level. It should move then. Keeping the aquarium water or at least 50% to start your refill, which will also help protect the beneficial bacteria in your substrate. I would plan 50% water changes for a week then every other day for a week and then down to twice weekly for a while. Even though you only want to move it a meter, a rigorous water change schedule is far less stressful than dealing with algae.

Nice and slowly, good luck!

Hello people, hope all is well. Probably the most stupid idea, as the title suggests, i would like to be able to move my tank less than 1m to the left. Is it possible? I have a as900 with aquaframe cabinet which sits on top of a sheet of ply. Ideally would like to take out like 80% water, push the ply and slide it across but i assume friction and the weight will impede me.

Are you trying to remove the plywood sheet Sammy, or just slide it and the tank/cabinet to the left?

Either way, it's probably a three person task - two to take some of the weight off the ply, and a third to push the ply along.

According to EA, the AS900 tank is 42Kg, the cabinet is 45kg, and it holds 186 litres (so 186Kg) - 273Kg filled. If you have it 20% filled, that's about 124Kg - a lot of weight, but just about doable between two strong people - they don't need to lift it completely, just take some of the weight whilst shuffling in the required direction whilst the third person pushes the plywood.

If you are on a flat flooring (laminate/wood etc) it should be okay - if you're on a thick pile carpet you're going to have more of an issue, especially if you don't want to create a ruck in the carpet.

Well with my 500l room divider tank when it had all its hardscape in as well, I was at a stage when I needed to move it away away from the wall to mod something wall side, dropped the water 80-90% and the whole base moved quite easy. Moved it away from wall, did the mod and moved it back. The room does have concrete floors with carpets. Slow even pressure on the base me and the wife did it. Only moved it about 30cm but 30cm or 3m if floor surface is smooth I cant see a problem.

Are you trying to remove the plywood sheet Sammy, or just slide it and the tank/cabinet to the left?

Either way, it's probably a three person task - two to take some of the weight off the ply, and a third to push the ply along.

According to EA, the AS900 tank is 42Kg, the cabinet is 45kg, and it holds 186 litres (so 186Kg) - 273Kg filled. If you have it 20% filled, that's about 124Kg - a lot of weight, but just about doable between two strong people - they don't need to lift it completely, just take some of the weight whilst shuffling in the required direction whilst the third person pushes the plywood.

If you are on a flat flooring (laminate/wood etc) it should be okay - if you're on a thick pile carpet you're going to have more of an issue, especially if you don't want to create a ruck in the carpet.
It sits on wooden flooring so i guess it will be easier than carpet. I'm in two minds, i want to do it but not looking forward to it. It will deffo take 3 people to move, but not sure how to exactly go about sliding it.

I pushed mine back all by myself, sat on floor and put my back in to it, the tank wasnt used to apply any pressure too, all pressure was applied to the base and no sudden pressure, needed two to pull it out from wall as it was close to wall, we was moving it along the length axis of tank. I think it may be harder to move on wooden floor than on carpet. wife isn't very strong at all - her punches don't even hurt 😇

What's the enthusiasm level for a complete breakdown and rescape. That's how I personally do it as seen far to many broken panes in the past from people unfortunately making an error when shifting glassware
None to be honest, i plan to keep this scape for a couple of years realistically.

I don't need to move it, but i would like to as it will allow me to utilise the space more seeing as right now i can't do much with the space either side of the tank

Can't see an issue, especially if your leaving the plywood under the stand. Drain all water and you should be able to easily push/slide it around.
That's pretty much my plan, as i can't remove livestock as it will by difficult with my scape style. If i decide to do it i guess i will ask 2 friends to help me, drain it 70/80%, and slides it from the bottom across, i think it only needs to move 70cm. Would getting them glass suction things be a good idea? but would ideally need to suction to one side of the stand rather than tank to pull, while pushing from the other side.

Hi Sammy, we’ve moved the 900 tanks around in the shop a lot! None with metal frames though but in theory yours should be lighter.

Drop the water to literally an inch or 2, do the last bit slowly and the fish will follow the water.

Then 2 people to lift the tank and cabinet together and walk it over, only need to lift it a bit.

Just don’t drag/slide it otherwise you can twist the frame and the doors won’t hang right.

Hope that helps.

Hi Sammy, we’ve moved the 900 tanks around in the shop a lot! None with metal frames though but in theory yours should be lighter.

Drop the water to literally an inch or 2, do the last bit slowly and the fish will follow the water.

Then 2 people to lift the tank and cabinet together and walk it over, only need to lift it a bit.

Just don’t drag/slide it otherwise you can twist the frame and the doors won’t hang right.

Hope that helps.
Thanks mate, i assume you mean lift it slightly from the bottom of the cabinet? Or the holes in the side?

No probs.

Open the cabinet doors ( or better still take them off, never done this though). One hand inside the door, one in cut out at the back or in the hole, whatever feels most comfortable. Make sure you are not stressing where the wood attaches to the frame. On your tank it may be easy to simply take all the wood off and just lift it by the frame.

****check this bit out, I’m not 100% sure how the wood attaches to the metal frames on the new design ones***********

Nice and slow don’t try to lift it too high and defo donot drag it. It’s not too heavy for 2 people.

Make sure one person is in charge of the lift giving the directions, usually the one going backwards. Do it in stages a foot at a time, see how you both feel when moving it.

Nothing to worry about, you’ll do it easy! 👍😃

ps. obviously empty the cabinet and take the light off 😂

Last edited:
No probs.

Open the cabinet doors ( or better still take them off, never done this though). One hand inside the door, one in cut out at the back or in the hole, whatever feels most comfortable. Make sure you are not stressing where the wood attaches to the frame. On your tank it may be easy to simply take all the wood off and just lift it by the frame.

****check this bit out, I’m not 100% sure how the wood attaches to the metal frames on the new design ones***********

Nice and slow don’t try to lift it too high and defo donot drag it. It’s not too heavy for 2 people.

Make sure one person is in charge of the lift giving the directions, usually the one going backwards. Do it in stages a foot at a time, see how you both feel when moving it.

Nothing to worry about, you’ll do it easy! 👍😃

ps. obviously empty the cabinet and take the light off 😂
Nice one, i forgot the doors pop off easily that makes a big difference 🤣

Back