• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving from DSM to filled tank

Dreadlockdog

Really pleased with how my first dry start has grown out. Now I think it's time to fill up and get the filter going.

What's the best way to continue...

Obviously just fill it up, switch on filter and get it going!

Is there any preferred methods of adding ferts and nutrients to help with the reduction in co2.

Ultimately I'd like to add co2 but the money isn't available at the moment.

Any advice on moving on would be greatly appreciated.

Setup...
Ada 30 cube
Aquasky 301

Riccia fluitans
Eleocharis acicularis mini
Rotala Bonsai
Ludwigia arcuata
Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba
Rotala rotundifolia

Tropica Plant Growth Substrate

Cheers
62f9225854aa2a3fd7628cad3a9eaa75.jpg
4157ba00603f4a95b3ae35c153e73d7d.jpg
aabbd5aa5f9f78ae3e1d4aaaba537ec4.jpg
28a57f4f9f1825dc2bb903c5d819b596.jpg

You should be pleased, that is a gorgeous dry-start! I don't have much advice to give you because I am kind of seat-of-my-pants about my aquariums but I did flood a 284L after a 46-day dry start last summer. I did big water changes (70%) the first 3 days and smaller water changes whenever I could for the next month, and dosed with Excel every couple of days for the first two weeks or so. I was lucky and had very little melt, and my MC carpet persisted in spite of using no CO2.

Aug 31 2019
DSM_4_20190831.jpg

Sept 7 2019
DSM_6_20190907_flooded.jpg

Hi all,
Obviously just fill it up, switch on filter and get it going! Is there any preferred methods of adding ferts and nutrients to help with the reduction in co2.
Any advice on moving on would be greatly appreciated.
I think you are probably obliged to fill it and see what happens. My guess is that a lot of the Riccia will float, but other than that it should be fine.

In terms of fertiliser addition you can either start using some fraction of EI dosing, or you can add a floating plant and use the <"Duckweed Index">. The advantage of a floating plant is that it isn't CO2 limited and has the <"aerial advantage">.

cheers Darrel

Ultimately I'd like to add co2 but the money isn't available at the moment.
Setup...
Ada 30 cube
Aquasky 301

Unless you’re planning to limit light intensity (there are a couple ukaps thread on controller/dimmer add on for ADA Aquasky) or add floating plants, I’d suggest picking up one of the bio-CO2 kits such as the Aquario Neo CO2 50
It will certainly produce enough CO2 for a 30cm cube even with hard tap water, though I’d include extra refills when ordering
You can also go with a DIY yeast kit but given the inclusion of the diffuser in the Aquario kit + all tubing etc (and having yeast for years) the Aquario kit is good economy and nicely compact ;)

(I’m convinced George Farmer set up one of these kits but can’t find the video - perhaps on his EA 30cm

Reactions: Ray
I remember seeing the video and sure he commented on how he liked the diffuser.

Its cheap and definitely on the shopping list of it does the job for my size tank. I could rest it on the light heatsink to boost the reaction as it gets nice and warm

Tropica Substrate is normally intended to be used with some kind of cover eg. gravel. I'd fill the tank with extreme care, so as not to disturb the bottom and end up with a muddy pool. It grows plants exceptionally well though; but it can be very messy.

Nice tank btw, looks lovely.

Back