• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving house and moving tank - Tips needed

NattyAntlers

Not once but twice.

We will be moving house in a month and unfortunately we only have 1 day to move everything and I doubt there will be time to move the tank that day, hired van and friends so cant work around a moving company.
My plan is to move the tank to a friends anytime prior to the move then move it again once we are settled anything from 1 week to 4 weeks later.
The distances are only 3-4 miles.
Tank to be moved is a planted Fluval Roma 90l with pressured Co2, substrate is ecocomplete and a selection of communtity fish, neons, rasboras etc plus 1 amano shrimp.
For instance I have a spare 2ft tank to use as a fish only holding tank and a spare heater and I intend to move the cannister filter to each tank in turn to retain the bacteria, would this be ok or would it be better to keep the fish open bagged and warm floating in the holding tank then move them straight to the moved re planted main tank (50% RO and 50% treated tap water) and for how long would the fish be ok?
I would like to clean the substrate, ok to do this in tap water and kill the bacteria or better to try and clean it in some clear removed tank water.
I have some thoughts on how to go about it but would appreciate any tips that would help it go with the min of problems.
Looking forward to setting the tank up again, rather not do it twice but the recent hot weather has messed up my Co2 and the tank is really suffering a BBA outbreak right now.

Thanks.

I will do you a swap I am moving and will have a Juwel Vision 450l to move! I am low tech so don't have CO2 etc to worry about.

I think I am going to bag all my fish and put them in poly boxes. I will not feed them for a couple of days to try and stop them fouling their bag water quite as much. The water will go into big containers (I aim to take around 3/4 of it) and the plants will go into a large tub or bags maybe. With regards to the filter I have nowhere else to run it so I will shut off the taps take off the hoses and leave the water in. I will then try and get it pumping ASAP again.

Hardscape and substrate into boxes and then move the lot and re-build as quickly as possible.

If anyone gives you any good ideas I will be waiting to incorporate those into my plan.

Andy

When my mate moved house he moved his fish into a large bucket with heater, air and filter a couple of days before moving. Plants into a bucket of water. Gravel/sand into bucket.

Day of move fish in polybags in bucket in footwell of car. Plants similar.

At new house placed tank, put gravel/sand back, filled with water added fish...job done.

Critical bit is to break down tank before the move day so becomes a simple "lift and shift" operation on move day.

i am moving this weekend... Two tanks. 260 litre and 110 litre shallow job. Just going to take everything out into buckets. Fish in with some plants and just go :)

In fact if I remember correctly my mate, mentioned above, didn't set his tanks up for a couple of days after moving, just put fish, heater, air and filter into a large bucket for a couple of days until tank location in new house was finalised.

Get your tank location correct as 15 years later odd he admits tank is in wrong place. Initially placed empty tank in lounge, but was near a gas fire, TV unit was bigger than anticipated in new lounge and wife not sure factor, so fish tank ended up in dinning room at back of house. Mistake, fire is never used so isn't an issue and no body really looks at tank as it is at back of house rather than in the lounge. He made these comments about my tank as it is in the lounge on same wall as TV and thus "gets looked at" all the time.

Thanks for the ideas so far maybe I will just crack on on the day with buckets etc, dont envy darren636 and Andy, good luck with your move guys.

Back