• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving/Replanting HC Cuba

NeilW

Just curious to know is it possible to replant/move a carpet of HC cuba?

I was musing over changing substrate but my HC has fully carpeted into a 2cm. thick network of runners and plants (as it should do!). This looks impossible to uproot individual plants without it coming up as one lump. Can this be done? :D

NeilW said:
Just curious to know is it possible to replant/move a carpet of HC cuba?

I was musing over changing substrate but my HC has fully carpeted into a 2cm. thick network of runners and plants (as it should do!). This looks impossible to uproot individual plants without it coming up as one lump. Can this be done? :D

Pardon the pun - two choices
1. Will break up
2. or will stay as one piece - you wont know till you pull it up - when I removed mine it broke up, further examination showed the original portion of hc had just got bigger.

As for replanting - you will have to peg it down with some gardening wire - you know the green coloured stuff, cut of "X" amount form a hoop or loop, oush the two ends through the HC and then push it into the substrate - it will some root its self and it does not matter even if you leave the wire in the HC - cannot be seen as its green

Hope this helps
Regards
Paul.

1. Will break up
2. or will stay as one piece - you wont know till you pull it up - when I removed mine it broke up, further examination showed the original portion of hc had just got bigger.

As for replanting - you will have to peg it down with some gardening wire - you know the green coloured stuff, cut of "X" amount form a hoop or loop, oush the two ends through the HC and then push it into the substrate - it will some root its self and it does not matter even if you leave the wire in the HC - cannot be seen as its green

Hope this helps
Regards
Paul.

Ok well that seems more positive than I thought! Thanks for that! I'd never thought of pegging it down. Will it damage the plant if it breaks rather than cut with sharp scissors?

NeilW said:
1. Will break up

Hope this helps
Regards
Paul.

Ok well that seems more positive than I thought! Thanks for that! I'd never thought of pegging it down. Will it damage the plant if it breaks rather than cut with sharp scissors?

The roots are not that long trying pealing it from the substrate and rolling it, have you seen the way turf is cut and rolled into a roll and then you unroll the roll prepared soil - try that.

Regards
Paul.

The roots are not that long trying pealing it from the substrate and rolling it, have you seen the way turf is cut and rolled into a roll and then you unroll the roll prepared soil - try that.

Regards
Paul.

This sounds fun to do! great idea :)

Back