• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving - Suggest Options for me please

Superman

Right ladies and gentlemen,

As you may of realised, I could be moving down to Cheltenham which is about 3 hours drive away from where I am now.

I want to keep on with an aquarium and if a landlord down there will let me keep an aquarium, I think I have a few options:

1. Sell my current setup and buy a newer one down south (obviously bigger!)
2. Take my current setup with me - including fish.
3. Give the fish a home somewhere, take the rest with me.

What would you do in my situation? Could you please offer any advice.

Cheers,
Clark

Depends on how much you like your current set up and whether or not you'll have somewhere to move straight into. Last time we moved 2 tanks, but did them on a different day to all the furniture! We borrowed extra water canisters from our LFS and a load of polystyrene boxes - we spent more time planning the fish move than anything else so it wasn't too bad

Personally, I'd go for a new set up. This is what I plan to do when I move house myself (although I've no plans to move just yet).

It would reduce the potential stress on both you and your fish and means that you can start from scratch having learnt the lessons from this tank. I'd probably take any equipment/hardscaping materials that are hard to come by and sell/pass on the rest.

In saying that, if I recall correctly you haven't had your setup all that long so I could understand why you take it lock, stock and barrel.

How much other stuff have you got to move? If you've got a house full, I'd say try and give away the fish and move the hardware. You'll need to know where you're going to keep it all before you set it up again.

How much time will you have when you move? If you haven't got a huge amount and are moving somewhere furnished then take it all. The fish will be fine in a polystyrene box for quite a few hours. When we moved the fish were kept in bags in a box for most of the day and didn't come to any harm. If you're going to have to spend house building furniture when you move (wardrobes, beds etc) then I'd try and leave the fish if you're not overly attached to them.

I'm planning on renting out my current place.

Not sure if I'll be taking my furniture or not. Although, I don't have loads to move there's a fair bit really.

With me hoping to keep my current place to rent out there might not be as much of a rush to move things. However, with the 6 hour round trip, I don't want to be going up and down the motorway much.

Back