• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MrStoffel's 60-P - Taken by storm

Hi MrStoffel i think you can make a very nice tank with what you have you dont need loads of hardscape if you can grow beautiful plants to fit around and get them to work with your wood and rocks the 60p is a perfect size just a quick pic of my 60p with just three rocks im not saying it will be a world beater but i enjoy sitting and watching it and if you ask me thats what counts
20191106_213924.jpg

Cheers
Jay

I think your newesr idea could look good! But I would probably place the rocks a bit flatter because you can raise the wood a lot just with sloping substrate.

If i was you id turn the wood and have it facing upwards with a kind of island with the rocks around the base the other 2 peices of wood coming from the opposite side
Cheers
Jay

Yeah you csn use cigarette filters and super glue to glue the wood to the rock or oase pond foam to secure it just trying to give you ideas to work with mate
Cheers
Jay

71d4fc6d6d3d070f36b8de558a67ae95.jpg

Leak test looks good
Almost ready to start up. Still looking for good quick couplings to put in the filter tubes. 13/16mm, does anyone have some recommendations? If they exist from 12 to 16mm that would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@alto I don't want to derail Mrstoffels thread with this discussion, but I think your condescending sarcasm (at least that's how I read it) is both distasteful and unnessecary. This is just about a difference in opinions after all.

I’m sorry you read it that way - while I’m guilty of gentle sarcasm at times, I certainly never intend the sort of reaction you seem to have found in my words

I thought we were just expressing differing opinions ... my mention of a number of tanks was just to give background - these were basically tanks that shop clients requested (I volunteer time and some plants and hardscape - especially when tanks are destined for schools) and I thought it interesting that most chose minimal hardscape

(Well I’m rereading this and not certain it’s still not open to interpretation as a nasty rejoinder :oops: so further apologies )

Last edited:
I have to agree with @alto you can make a beautiful planted tank with minimal hardscape
Yes it may well be easier with more choice but we are not all that fortunate to have the resource to achive this
Cheers
Jay

I have to agree with @alto you can make a beautiful planted tank with minimal hardscape
Yes it may well be easier with more choice but we are not all that fortunate to have the resource to achive this
Cheers
Jay

Nature is full of free hardscape. :)

Here is an good example from an iaplc winning scape with only hardscape from nature:

191112083644558221.jpg

Cheers

Nature is full of free hardscape. :)
It sure is but there are a lot of people that live in places where that too may not be accessible to them isnt this one of the reasons aquascaping is so popular in bigger asian citys where there isnt enough room to have a garden
Cheers
Jay

Today i decided to start scaping in the tank.
I quite like this layout. But still undecided about the smaller wood piece in the back. Does it look better with or without?

df3894c7c05fab2ad9f0d363786cf550.jpg
9037ea19352a8a85946cdd1ee5d29b7f.jpg

U dont have to use all the pieces, sometimes its better for scape to look plain than for it to look out of order, if u want to use them mby infront of the rocks laying on substrate

Looks like an old fallen tree - I like it. I think it could look great with some moss and ferns growing on the driftwood. Maybe you could place some of the other small pieces so they look like sidebranches from the main trunk? You could glue them on with superglue if needed.

@alto No worries - I might have overreacted a bit. It's so easy to misunderstand tone over text. :) I will also add that I agree that very simple hardscape can work extremely well, but only if the shape is right and the size of the hardscape is sufficiently big.

I like it too the smallers peice behind trydiffrent angels maybe angeled away from the larger peice to givea bit of a v shape with them being smaller might give depth too
Cheers
Jay

Today i decided to start scaping in the tank.
I quite like this layout. But still undecided about the smaller wood piece in the back. Does it look better with or without?

9037ea19352a8a85946cdd1ee5d29b7f.jpg

I like the left scape, without the smaller branches.
If you like to use them, how would they do when placed below the bigger branch, like roots sticking out from the substrate?
Place bigger structures in front and smaller in the back to create depth (is what I learned so far... :D)

Came home today and tried to figure out how to plant the scape. I had barely any space in the back behind the wood, so i would be limited to mosses, epiphytes and carpeting plants. For a first scape, i think its better to have some stem plants as well. Sooo... i started fresh... Less wood, stones to the front and place for stem plants in the back.
ca93f98af161c2db3f00a75d5926dc2e.jpg
42f76ca12b19745489766aed9e11b380.jpg

I agree with @CooKieS the previous layouts looked cleaner if you want room.behind just move it around a little stems are very thin you will be able to plant and replant the tops that dont need to be in the soil till you get a good density of stems plants
Cheers
Jay

Back