• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Multilux vs heliolux without controller

JenBird

Looking to upgrade the T5s on my lido unit. I unfortunately can’t afford to get the controller for the heliolux and it’s a spicy $300 in Aus so I was wonder if just on a on/off timer which between the two is best for plant growth?

Orrrrr trying to work out if a chihiro might fit? But they seem to be made for rimless tanks

Looking to upgrade the T5s on my lido unit. I unfortunately can’t afford to get the controller for the heliolux and it’s a spicy $300 in Aus so I was wonder if just on a on/off timer which between the two is best for plant growth?

Orrrrr trying to work out if a chihiro might fit? But they seem to be made for rimless tanks
There is no difference and no "better." Plants adapt to whatever lighting you have and simply carry on. What you want to avoid is to use lighting that is too strong, especially if the tank is non-CO2 injected because then you might spend $300 in Aus trying to solve the problems. I would stick with my T5s because the whole point of LEDs is that you can tailor the colors to your taste and can control the intensity. Without the controller you'll just have a runaway freight train, so what's the point?

Cheers,

I have the Rio 125 with the stock Multilux LEDs, they are way overpowered in my opinion, especially for new setups. I've had to turn one tube 180 degrees so it's not even facing the water, and the other tube is wrapped in about 10 layers of baking paper to dim the light.

I'm using co2, before my modifications the tank was just be blasted with light and algae would cover the glass and my weekly maintenance would involve algae removal. Now i rarely have to clean the glass, sure this is due to the tank maturing and calming down, but the light levels definitely "feel" more appropriate.

Back