• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Multiple Plant Health Issues

NotoriousENG

Hi Everyone

I've been having some ongoing issues with plant health in varying degrees pretty much since I set this tank up (about three months ago). Before I get into the issues some tank details.
Tank: 20 gallon long
Temp: Unheated, 68-72 deg. F
Inhabitants: 1 mystery snail, 2 nerite snails, a few trumpet snails, approx. 20 neo shrimp, and about a billion limpets. Once the shrimp population rises I will be adding 10 to 15 white clouds
Filter: 10-gallon sump with three two-inch-thick sheets of poret foam, filter fleece, and purigen. Water returns to the tank via a split loc line return. Flow throughout the tank seems to be good with some areas bordering on too high. The back right seems to be the lowest flow area. I also have a quick video showing the flow. I have an adjustable DC return pump so can dial up or down the flow as needed.

C02: Pressurized, inject via cerges reactor, on three hours before lights on and off one hour before lights off. About three bubbles per second of gas which causes a gas build-up in the reactor and starts spitting microbubbles a few hours into the photoperiod. Since I get the build-up, I don't know if running a higher injection rate would do much good since the reactor seems to be saturating. When the drop checker is in the front of the tank it is lime green, almost yellow at lights on. In the back of the tank, under the outflow (lowest flow portion of the tank), it is lime green as pictured. I don't have a pH probe but appear to have at least a one-point drop using the liquid kit. Degassed tank water is at the top of the API low range kit and near the bottom of the high range kit, (about 7.6~7.8). The pH drops to about 6.4 wth CO2 on as far as I can tell.
20211021_204439.jpg

Light: 36" Finnex Ray2 DS hanging about 3" above the tank (since the tank is only 30" long). On 7.5 hours per day
Substrate: Black diamond blasting sand (coal slag) with a little bit of boiled worm castings, red clay, KCL, dolomite, and osomocote plus on the glass.
Dosing: See the picture below. Note that Fe DTPA dosing was started the first week of September, K was increased from 18 to 25 ppm on October 9th, iron and trace was increased to current levels on October 17th
New dosing.JPG

20211021_204338.jpg

All of the plants show decent growth rate. The hydrocoytle grows like wildfire and looks healthy. The crypts and anubias seem healthy and average about 1-2 leaves a week. The dwarf hairgrass has also been spreading nicely. I see good pearling midway through the photoperiod. The anubias has the most pearling while the ludwigia consistently has the least. No real algae except some persistent minor diatoms and a very small amount of green spot on some of the hardscape. I do occasionally see clearish thread algae on dead and melting leaves but it seems to leave the health growth alone.

Now the issues.

I have two species of ludwigia in this tank. I thought one of them is was L. repens but the leaves are way larger (about the size of my thumb) then I recall them being. The undersides are also pretty much devoid of any red. The other species have longer thing leaves and is also unknown to me. Since pretty early in this tank's life, I have seen pale growth on my ludwigia. Until it gets within a few inches of the surfaces the leaves are very pale whitish-green. The larger leaf variety has also have very noticeable white veins. Once the leaves are within a few inches of the light the leaves to develop some orange coloration and look better. However, they still have pale, have white veins, and lack red undersides. Some of the leaves also develop some twisting.
20211021_202353.jpg

20211021_202345.jpg

I also have some buce that originally came from tissue culture. When I first got it every single leaf melted off leaving only the rhizome. The buce are slowly clawing their way back to life and putting up new leaves. However, they also seem to be very pale. Not sure if the leaves come in pale and darken like anubias leaves?
20211021_202008.jpg

The rotala also looks a little pale and generally looks kind of crappy with some leaf twisting as well.
20211021_203728.jpg

I originally thought the paleness was due to low iron since my pH before Co2 is in the mid to upper sevens. So I started dosing Fe-DTPA and it seemed to help a little but with overall growth rate and health, but the paleness persists.

The bigger issue is reoccurring necrosis and melting of the ludwigia, frogbit, and dwarf hair grass. On the ludwigia, leaves and stems turn pale gray then melt away. Not all stems are affected and it usually occurs on the lower portion down areas. New growth is also affected if it is lower down in the tank (after trimming or an offshoot). Some of the plants have very nice-looking tops but bottoms that have turned to mush. The melting is mostly concentrated on the ludwigia on the right side of the tank. The ludwigia on the left near the wood (directly under the lights and in a very high flow area) generally looks much healthier.

20211021_202146.jpg
20211021_202220.jpg
20211021_202311.jpg
20211021_202438.jpg
20211021_203118.jpg

I also consistently see some yellow, dead, or melting leaves in my dear hair grass carpet. Although the dwarf hair grass generally seems to be pretty healthy. The few pieces of frogbit I have in the tank also show necrosis and dead spots..
20211021_202201.jpg

Lastly, my Java fern also ocassiaonly gets clearish tips and brown patches on the older leaves

Baby ferns.jpg

At this point, I am at a loss as o what the problem is. I feel like it probably isn't ferts or CO2 since both should be plenty high. The pale leaves might be due to the fact that the finnex ray2 has only 7000k LEDs so tends to heavily wash out pretty much any color but green. On my last tank (back in 2016) I used the same light and could never really get any of the plants red.

Since the melting seems to occur on the back lower right-hand portion of the tank I am thinking either flow or light. The back lower right seems to be the lowest flow and also the dimmest area of the tank. If I look closely I can see the leaves on the lower right waving slightly. That coupled with the fact that there was heavy melting about an inch from a lime green drop checker makes me lean away from the flow and towards the light. More specifically light spread.

I did some quick math and assuming a 120-degree lens on the LEDs the light should cover the full front to back width of the tank at the surface. However, I realized that I was off with my hole placement and the light ended up a little forward of the centerline. I did raise the light a bit tonight to hopefully get some more spread but am not opposed to replacing it if it is the problem (I am tired of washed-out colors anyways).

I am thinking about moving the outflow to the center of the tank and drilling some holes along the loc line arms to give better flow distribution. However, I would like to avoid doing so unless flow is the likely culprit.

Any help y'all can offer is greatly appreciated since this is stressing me out!

Attachments

• 20211021_204439.jpg
    20211021_204439.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20211021_204338.jpg
    20211021_204338.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20211021_204338.jpg
    20211021_204338.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 107
Hi @ceg4048 thank you for the advice. I will make some changes to my outflow to get better distribution in the tank. I plan to put some more holes in my online which will reduce the exit velocity of the water in addition to giving better distribution. With lower exit velocity I can increase my pump power for a higher overall turnover rate, something I can't do with the current outflow configuration without blowing away some of the plants.

However, I am a little hesitant to chock up all the issues to flow since I am also seeing the paleness/yellowing and white veins on plants that are in high to very high flow areas of the tank. These plants are also in well-lit areas so maybe the yellowing and white veins are related to neither flow nor light?. On another plant forum, a very well-regarded member suggested my high magnesium dosing is interfering with calcium uptake and suggested I cut my magnesium dose back to twice a week. They also suggested I increase my Fe-DTPA dose by 50% and look for changes in plant growth over the next four weeks.

Not sure if they are useful but I ran a full battery of tests last night (using liquid tests so take them with a grain of salt). Yesterday was my last dosing day of the week so nutrients are their maximum values.

Tank:
dGH: 11
dKH: 5~6 (5 to drops to get it greenish-yellow, 6 to get it bright yellow)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30~40 (hard to differentiate)

Tap:
dGH: 8
dKH: 7

If I were to make any suggestions as to what you could change regarding dosing then it would be to increase the Manganese content per dose between 2x to 3x and the Zinc content per dose by 10x (Manganese Sulphate and Zinc Sulphate are easy to source to supplement your current mix), these elements are needed nearly as much as Iron.

Using the weekly total of dosed Mg is easier added at one go at waterchange you don’t really need much more than this during the week, the Mg dose in the micro is also ok, it may be sufficient to replace daily uptake of Magnesium. I wouldn’t change anything else with regards to fertilisation.

:)

Last edited:
Hi
Macro Dosing should be added on alternate days!
Monday,Wednesday,Friday
If your dosing Fe on the same days as Macro...the Fe will de rendered practically useless as most of it will react with Phosphate!
Trace (T) equals.....Tuesday and Thursday
hoggie

However, I am a little hesitant to chock up all the issues to flow since I am also seeing the paleness/yellowing and white veins on plants that are in high to very high flow areas of the tank. These plants are also in well-lit areas so maybe the yellowing and white veins are related to neither flow nor light?.
Hi,
When flow/distribution problems are present they not only cause anomalies with CO2, but with everything else, such as nutrients. The purpose of flow/distribution is to deliver gases as well as solids and liquids.
On another plant forum, a very well-regarded member suggested my high magnesium dosing is interfering with calcium uptake and suggested I cut my magnesium dose back to twice a week.
This is a common misconception regarding aquatic plants. This theory arises from terrestrial horticulture, where these types of issues can exist at the roots. In aquatic plants this does not occur because nutrient uptake channels are present in both root and leaf. You can add as much magnesium, ae you wish and as much calcium as you wish . There will never be any interference from either.
Not sure if they are useful but I ran a full battery of tests last night (using liquid tests so take them with a grain of salt).
Yes, exactly. That is why they are not particularly useful. Having said that, the GH and KH kits are fairly accurate as they depend on simple and reliable titration, however, knowing the GH does not tell you what the relative concentration of Mg and Ca are. The water may have all Ca (probable), or all Mg (not very probable) or some combination of both (highly probable with Ca being dominant).

Since these ions can be present in both the sediment as well as in the water column, and since the uptake rates will differ between both locations, it is impossible to guarantee that any dosing ration will be the same as the uptake ratio. That is another reason worrying about Ca:Mg ratios is pointless.

CO2 shortfall is the most reliable indicator because the plant needs a LOT more CO2 than Ca or Mg. In fact, plants need almost no Ca or Mg at all. These metals simply need to be present in non-zero concentrations as they accumulate in the leaf over time and they NEVER leave the leaf.
On the other hand, CO2 is almost a narcotic in plants. Once they have a taste they suffer severe and destructive withdrawal symptoms - the same symptoms you are reporting if the supply decreases by even a small amount.

The next most visible and most common nutrient withdrawal symptom is Nitrogen shortfall. The reason is that this is the second most important element. Again, poor flow/distribution can result in some areas of the tank doing well, while plants in other areas do poorly because the water does not carry the nutrients to these areas reliably.
They also suggested I increase my Fe-DTPA dose by 50% and look for changes in plant growth over the next four weeks.
Again, this is another area where I feel people make much ado about nothing. There is rarely ever a need to increase Fe or to complicate your life with different chelators - as long as you are dosing EI quantities of these nutrients. They will find their way into the plant by hook or by crook. Fe, like all the other micronutrients also accumulate in the leaf tissues, and poor flow/distribution affects the allocation of all nutrients.
My suggestion is to first, worry about flow/distribution as well as all the other techniques of CO2, such as timing of the gas.
CO2 shortfall is the issue that is killing the plants. It's more important to arrest that phenomenon first. Discoloration can be addressed later. f you want to add more of anything or everything, sure, you can, without penalty, but that should not be the priority because nutrient shortfall is not responsible for the melting, rotting and so forth, CO2 is.

Cheers,

Thank you everyone for super informative replies!
My suggestion is to first, worry about flow/distribution as well as all the other techniques of CO2, such as timing of the gas.
I modified my outflow yesterday by drilling holes along the length of the loc line arms. I also moved it to a more central position in the tank and readjusted how the arms are pointed. With extra outflow area, I was able to increase the tank's turnover rate without having any plants blow away. All in all the flow distribution seems to be much improved with all plants gently rippling. I also am seeing much more pearling than usual on the stems along the back right wall which I take as a positive sign of improved flow. I can increase my pump further if needed, but I will have to be careful that I don't exceed the flow rating of the emergency drain in my overflow. Due to how my overflow box is designed, the emergency drain standpipe needs to be very tall to avoid noisy splashing. As a result, the emergency drain can't achieve full siphon before the box overflows which limits its flow rate in the event that the main drain clogs.

20211024_151805.jpg

20211024_191637.jpg

20211024_191629 (2).jpg

If I were to make any suggestions as to what you could change regarding dosing then it would be to increase the Manganese content per dose between 2x to 3x and the Zinc content per dose by 10x (Magnesium Sulphate and Zinc Sulphate are easy to source to supplement your current mix), these elements are needed nearly as much as Iron.

Using the weekly total of dosed Mg is easier added at one go at waterchange you don’t really need much more than this during the week, the Mg dose in the micro is also ok, it may be sufficient to replace daily uptake of Magnesium. I wouldn’t change anything else with regards to fertilisation.

Thank you for the tip! I keep seeing threads about custom or improved trace mixes but it's all a little overwhelming. Would you say adding the extra zinc and manganese is a high priority or can it wait a few weeks? I don't want to change too many things at once so I can keep track of the effect each change has.

Hi
Macro Dosing should be added on alternate days!
Monday,Wednesday,Friday
If your dosing Fe on the same days as Macro...the Fe will de rendered practically useless as most of it will react with Phosphate!
Trace (T) equals.....Tuesday and Thursday
hoggie
I used to dose on alternate days but accidentally dosing the wrong thing, the daily dosing helps me stay consistent. I can switch back if needed but I thought the consensus these days was that it doesn't really matter since the concentrations are so low leading to a slow reaction rate? I do dose the macros and traces a few hours apart to give them a chance to fully mix into the tank.

If I were to make any suggestions as to what you could change regarding dosing then it would be to increase the Manganese content per dose between 2x to 3x and the Zinc content per dose by 10x (Magnesium Sulphate and Zinc Sulphate are easy to source to supplement your current mix), these elements are needed nearly as much as Iron.
Hi @X3NiTH This is interesting. I am wondering why the premixed trace blends we are using, (on average) have the ratios they have. I am currently dosing Nilocg Plantex CMS+B. If Manganese and Zinc is almost as important as Iron, why would these minerals be provided in insufficient (?) amounts relative to Iron then? Just wondering.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Would you say adding the extra zinc and manganese is a high priority or can it wait a few weeks? I don't want to change too many things at once so I can keep track of the effect each change has

No it can wait, your doing the right thing as patience is a key to success, make a change, wait and observe effects, if the change was positive you can move on to the next change if necessary, if the change was negative then revert the change, easier done one change at a time.

Just checking, Magnesium or Manganese, or both?

No it can wait, your doing the right thing as patience is a key to success, make a change, wait and observe effects, if the change was positive you can move on to the next change if necessary, if the change was negative then revert the change, easier done one change at a time.

Sounds good! I will probably pester you for some more details once the current issues are resolved.

In other news, older growth on the ludwigia continues to melt away but I suspect (and hope) it was already damaged growth since the tops are looking better and pearling more than I have ever seen. I plan to top and replant the stems during this week's water change to get rid of all the old damaged growth.

If anyone has an ID for either of the ludwigias in the earlier pictures I would appreciate it. I thought the one with the rounder leaves was repens but it's developed leaves way larger than the repens I've kept in the past. When I last kept repens it was a nice narrow stem with shorter internodes and smaller dark green leaves. In contrast, this stem is turning into a monster that's bigger in every way!

Ludwigia glandulosa maybe??
That would be very cool, but probably unlikely since I got it from a big box store (petco). I was trying to remember what it was labeled as and I think it was something to do with broadleaf. Maybe L. Broadleaf or L. Repens broad leaf.

Hi everyone, I resurrecting this thread as I've started to have some plant health and algae issues again after a few months of the tank running smoothly. Luckily the melting issue hasn't come back. I'm copying over some info I posted in my journal and adding some new info as well

Relevant tank parameters:
Temp: Unheated, 67-72
Light duration: 8 hours, on at 3 pm, off at 11 pm
Water changes: 60% weekly with surface vacuuming of carpet and accessible substrate. 2 out 3 filter sponges rinsed in tank water, filter fleece replaced.
kH:
Dosing:
1644372429236.png

These macro dosing levels are new for this week. I was previously dosing 30.83-8.26-43.37. I also reduced my daily Fe-DPTA dose from 0.135 ppm to the current 0.09 ppm a week and a half ago. Thinking about it now, the extreme twisting of the ludwigia started appearing the same week I reduced my iron dose. The other issues have been ongoing for a while.

CO2: on at 10 am, off at 10:30 pm, drop checker is light green edging to yellow.
20220208_184651.jpg

I do have pinpoint marine pH monitor that I've been trying to use to track the pH drop due to CO2. At light on the tank pH is around 6.08 and it stays stable within 0.1 through the photoperiod. The problem is I am having a heck of time figuring out my degassed pH. In the morning before CO2 on, the tank pH is usually around 7.2 so I have at least a 1.1 pH drop. However, I don't think my tank fully degasses overnight so I usually pull out a water sample early in the week and let it sit for a few days. The issue is, the pH reading for that sample is all over the place depending on long I leave the probe in. For example, over the weekend I recorded readings at various time intervals from a sample I had degassing since Tuesday.
5 min: 7.44
10 min: 7.44
15 min: 7.49
20 min: 7.53
25 min: 7.55
45 min: 7.45
1 hr 35 min: 7.68
2 hr 20 min: 7.53
Even more confusing is that if I leave the probe in the sample overnight the pH reading usually drops to 7.2 ish. If I stir it around the readings jump back up. Today, I very carefully recalibrated the probe again. This time around I calibrated it in the location it rests during in-tank use since it seems to be sensitive to environmental interference. Testing a 24 hour degassed sample gave a reading that rose from 7.3 to 7.4 in the first 15 minutes before dropping to 7.2 over the next half hour.

Next, I tested a fresh sample of water taken from the tank in the middle of the photoperiod and got 6.08. Right after I placed the probe in the tank I got a reading of 5.84. I've noticed the readings tend to be different if they are in still or flowing water.

Lastly, I tested the 24 hour and fresh sample with the API liquid tests. To me, it looks like the degassed is around 7.6 and the fresh sample is between 6.0 and 6.4.
20220208_201015.jpg

20220208_200737.jpg

So I basically don't know what values to believe and have pretty much no idea what my CO2 levels are. I do know that I increased my CO2 flow rate quite a bit in the past month and half, so the co2 levels should be higher than previously.

In the past few weeks, I've seen an increase in algae of almost variety, green spot/dust, BBA, staghorn, and brown algae. It's been mostly minor, and I think I managed to kill off most of the staghorn and BBA with excel and peroxide spot treatments. The green spot/dust and brown algae on older leaves of the anubias, crypts, and hydrocoytle are my main concern now as it seems to be getting worse. I've also seen a significant amount of twisting in the leaves of my ludwigia in the past week and half. I've always had some twisting, but this is much more than usual.

The ludwigia is probably the worst-looking plant. Aside from the heavy twisting it just doesn't look quite right to me. I've always seen ludwigia with nice compact growth, and dark green leaves with red undersides. In my tank, the ludwigia consistently seems to have leggier growth with these massive thumb-sized leaves. The leaves always have this yellowy-orange color with essentially no red on the underside. Once it gets close to the surface it does start to get more distinct orange coloration.

20220205_132524-jpg.jpg

20220205_132629-jpg.jpg
20220208_201346.jpg

Buce Green Wavy is another problem plant. I got this one from tissue culture a few months ago. It consistently doesn't look as healthy as the other buce I got from a local hobbyist. The leaves come in very pale then darken somewhat in uneven patches. The leaves all look much paler than the pictures I see online.
20220205_132539-jpg.jpg

20220205_132546-jpg.jpg

This Buce also seems to have some issues. The new leaves look pretty healthy to me. However, the older leaves will occasionally start turning a bleached whitish color. The central leave on the bottom of the picture is currently affected. The central right-pointing leave is also showing some early signs. Its hard to see in the picture with the glare
20220205_132607-jpg.jpg

Here are some pictures of the green spot algae that starting to cover some leaves. I also see dark black algae (probably BBA) edging older leaves of some of the slow growers. It's hairy or fluffy, just a dark black coloration on the leaf edges.
20220205_132659-jpg.jpg

20220205_132813-jpg.jpg

Back