• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Murdannia keisak not doing well.

Jayouz

Hello I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the problem with my murdannia keisak,
I'm not sure if it got a bit too beaten up in shipping or if there's something it doesn't like about my water
the rest of the tank is growing very well!

I've got hard water,
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 3ppm
Nitrate 10ppm (Might have to increase my macro as tap water is 40ppm and did a 50% change on Thursday)

It can't be lack of CO2 as it's right near the atomizer.

Thank you for any advice :)

Try and match the below parameters for Murdannia keisak.
Try adding root tablets to the substrate!
Carbonate hardness 0 to 14 °dkh
pH value 5 to 7.5 
Carbon dioxide (CO2) 15 to 40 mg/l
Nitrate (NO3-) 10 to 50 mg/l
Phosphate (PO43-) 0.1 to 3 mg/l
Potassium (K+) 5 to 30 mg/l
Iron (Fe) 0.01 to 0.5 mg/l
hoggie

There's tropica plant substrate under the sand so that should cover root tabs,
my water is a bit harder than that around 17°dkh, PH is about on that upper limit
drop checker is really green when lights come on, maybe I just need to increase the EI dosing?
But that doesn't explain why this plant is doing so badly yet the others are growing like weeds! :(

I'm thinking of removing it and either ordering another pot or trying a different plant.

It's been in for just over a week and it's going browner and browner, I'm sure it's what's helping cycle my filter :lol:

When I did the change on Thursday and accidentally pulled a piece out I didn't see any rooting,
Unfortunately the plants did get DPD's finest shipping handling, so I'm not sure if it was just damaged or if it's the tank.

Attachments

• 20190404_132455.jpg
    20190404_132455.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 133
M keisak isn’t the best shipper - sometimes it can be very prone to melt upon arrival, other times it’s seemingly very hardy (not really caring about conditions as long as minimum light requirement is met)

I suggest just leaving it to see if it recovers

If it melts at the lower stem, you can just leave it floating for awhile - once you see new white roots and stem feels “non mushy”), gently plant (rough handling seems to break out damage stem ,,, which then melts)

Fortunately you don’t need many surviving stems to generate more Mk than you will ever need :)
Once settled into your tank, it seems pretty bomb proof (except again if you miss it’s light requirement ... then it will respond by melting)

Looking at the plant tray, M keisak should’ve been shipped inside a Tropica (or similar) sleeve

The light in the flex isn't amazing but everything else is going well, even the Hygrophila pinnatifida is growing ok which is a medium light plant,
is it worth just pulling it up and letting it float so it has even more light and CO2?

Thank you for the advice, I'll let it float for a bit and go from 10ml to 15ml of micro and macro and see what happens.

It doesn’t actually prefer floating so I’d only do half

Flex should be fine in terms of light as long as stems are not too shaded - once plant is growing well, it’s much more tolerant of being trimmed and tops replanted at substrate level - even in relative poor light/heavy shade it will slowly go on, then ramp up growth (leaf size, stem thickness and rate of growth) as it reaches higher light

Tips nearer the light can go reddish, initial spots can look almost “rusty” before overall leaf takes on reddish coloration

I'm highly suspecting it got pretty beaten up in shipping, not sure if I should try and see if it recovers or message the seller.

I've left it floating for now, it was only getting worse where it was.

I'll see how it does over the next week, the increased fert dosing might help it a bit as the tank seemed pretty low on nitrate so the rest were probably a bit depleted

Hello
Wondering how you made out. Did they survive?
I'm experiencing the same problem. Tropica packaging arrived in poor condition.
Planted a week ago, no sign of life. Roots looked good... hoping.
Hoping yours survived.

Tropica packaging arrived in poor condition.
Planted a week ago, no sign of life.
Hoping yours survived.

I’d report back to Tropica and your local supplier - email + photos is best
You should not be paying premium prices for products that are deficient ... and it does Tropica no good when they aren’t notified of problems :)

Thanks for your response alto.
A week in transit. Can't really complain about Tropica. Although seeing Jayouz photo, mine were not near as good as his. Mine, stems, leaves were all soft and lifeless... though the roots looked good, white, firm, and healthy. Do you think I have a chance of new growth given time? All other plantings are doing surprisingly well... We very much like the Murdannia and emersive look, but not sure I want to reorder at this point.

I’d trim back to just stem and roots - hopefully you’ll find some from stem with just melted leaf, carefully trim all leaf with scissors (so as to avoid damaging the stem) - and plant (separated stems) in an area of good light and good flow

You don’t mention substrate, aquarium soils are less likely to cause mechanical damage when planting, if you have gravel/sand, I’d push substrate away, hold stem/root in place with tweezers (again be careful of squeezing and causing mechanical damage) and push substrate back around the plant
(If you’re accomplished, you can do this with all with one hand and no pinsettes ;) just like in the Tropica videos :cool:)

Then look at the trimmed part, if there are any shoots with a bit of good stem and a leaf, leave these floating in tank - monitor for new roots/shoots

If you’re set up for emerse growth, you might place some of the root/stem in this environment

I’ve not had success when just cutting Mk back to rock wool level in the pot, and waiting for regrowth - at least not under water, perhaps this would work better in an emerse culture

Back