• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Murky lurky

Kezzab

New scape!

Kind of low maintenance is the plan.

12 hours after first fill and we have a LOT of tannins leaching...
20190524_235355.jpg

Water is still cloudy, but you get the idea.

Minimal substrate. Epiphyptes and moss. Plenty of open swimming space and cover for fish. Big rock on top obviously temporary.

Running gas, but hopefully at quite a low rate.

All hardscape is locally collected, including the sand if you count B&Q.

Tried to go more instinctive and quick with the hardscape, rather than over thinking it.

Fish seem happier already compared to Bite the Bullet which had little cover.

I confess to being really pleased with it.

20190525_201717.jpg
20190525_201815.jpg

Looks really nice!
Purigen removes tannins. My first bag got brown within a week. Crystal clear water though...
I removed and bleached it. While the tank ran without it for a day, water got yellow again.
So I suspect wood will leach tannins for a few more weeks if not months...depends on the wood.

That right part and middle look very nice.

Left part could be easily improved by removing some roots or adding stones?
Cheers

Mmm, not easy. The wood is three large pieces that fit together in a particukar way to actually fit in the tank. If i removed any of them id basically remove a third of the hardscape.

The left hand side is more squared off, the right has a nicer angle. But theres not much i can do easily and without the risk of destroying whats alreacy there.

What were you thinking more specifically?

... If you at the end of a bit of wood then you can put a couple of half hitches around it, a clove hitch. I also do three-turn blood knots. It's looking great by the way.
Anyway - how is Dave?

What's good with this is the fish behaviour. Not stressed, no fights, lots of displaying and shimmying around. Real contrast to last scape.

Done some experimenting planting stems into holes and crevices in the wood, filling with substrate whwre i can. Stripped off failing moss and jammed some fresh java moss wherever i could.

Plants seem to be settling in, h pinnitafida struggling a bit. Low co2 probably, also it was a bit tatty to start with.

20190609_210521.jpg

Back