• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mushrooms

If I were ever to make fake mushrooms for a palludarium it would be a clump of these, look so much like Zoanthids/Palythoas when in big groups. Which falls north of Bangkok? Erawan?

Samlan Waterfall (Saraburi province), 10 minutes away from Saraburi city where my wife has her parent's house. I have read reports its found in Khao Yai National Park as well.

Never been to Khao Yai but my sister has and the most memorable thing I can remember about her 'Amazing Adventure' in that place was that their party declined the offer to hire Leech Socks at the entrance so that half way through the adventure and miles from the nearest Leech sock it turned into a 'Bloody Nightmare', lol!

We get a massive amount of Phallus impudicus around here and it's not very pleasant. You can smell them from a mile away where I walk the dog and we even had a couple in my back garden last year. It's impressive how much they smell and it's ingenious really but you can't help but snigger when you see them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_impudicus

Here are few of my recent catches ...
Lots of giant puffball this year but otherwise very poor season for me so far....
Who can IDThe last picture ?
15D3D136-8030-4C8D-A0BF-56B941F4DEAD.jpeg
0382A83F-79F7-4A8F-BACE-216CA7CC2FB5.jpeg
79000F39-448B-481C-9E72-C29FB9D38538.jpeg
47041D9A-892B-46F6-96B4-7A67E2957FB9.jpeg
2DEA9E2A-AA7E-4498-BCE2-F0FAFBDF94A1.jpeg
F3916636-CBBB-4A6D-ABC3-366A2F515A67.jpeg
4AD68D45-4798-41F1-9532-695A52C843C0.jpeg

We have had a bumper crop of walnuts this year but all the known public trees are very well harvested!
There is one tree in a public park that we visited last Sunday, there were a dozen or so folk waiting for the nuts to drop and running to get to them first.... luckily it was a fun atmosphere .
As it happens I am allergic to walnuts, I discovered that fact when I ate a walnut whip that my mum had put in my school lunch box aged around 5-6 years old. My allergy has been a right nuisance all my life and you would be amazed what food can contain them! Luckily my symptoms are not to severe and much milder as I have got older and built some tolerance.

Luckily my symptoms are not to severe and much milder as I have got older and built some tolerance.

I recently saw a docu that was telling people getting to get your body acknowledged with things you allergic too is the best way to get rid of it on the long term.. Makes sense in a way but some things are just to stay I think..

Well it is easier to avoid walnuts now as nut allergy’s are more recognised nowadays but I have been had many, many times!
Christmas has always been a difficult time for me as lots of Christmas treats and general fair contain traces of walnut.
Biscuits have caught me out many times too.
Luckily I don’t get badly ill, but suffer instant swelling in my mouth and a severe picking sensation for an hour or so.
It it worse if I actually swallow some but the effect is so instant that I can normally spit it out before I swallow anything!!

it seems alergies can come and go as they please.. I was never alergic to anything.. And since i have a cherry tree i found out that i have allergic reaction to Cherries that are not fully ripe, if i eat a light collored Cherry i feel a swelling and itch in my throat. :)

But with a fully ripened Cherry i have no trouble eating it..

I became allergic to cats a few year back. The first time I developped a reaction it was a close encounter with death. Woke up at 2am with my airways 90% closed. Had to rush with a car to the closest pharmacy in the middle of nowhere. I really saw myself dying. Since then it hasn’t got any better and anytime there is a cat in a room I have to get out immediatly else things get nasty. Sadly I love cats but can’t be close to them.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried growing edible mushrooms? I'm curious about the various kits which grow them on straw, coffee grounds, old books even - seems pretty straightforward!

Every year around this time, my front lawn grows some quite impressive mushrooms, mainly in the area I dump my weekly fish tank area. Some of these are over 4 inches across.
upload_2019-10-16_12-18-39.png

upload_2019-10-16_12-21-7.png

upload_2019-10-16_12-21-47.png

upload_2019-10-16_12-22-39.png

upload_2019-10-16_12-23-15.png

Has anyone tried growing edible mushrooms? I'm curious about the various kits which grow them on straw, coffee grounds, old books even - seems pretty straightforward!

I never did but i would like to.. I know you can buy small cut tree trunks that are seeded with Shii-take or Pleurotus ostreatus(oyster) spores. They need to be soaked in water for 24 hours and than put in a shaded spot in the garden. They will readily grow the mushrooms alledgedly for several years. :)

http://www.mushroomlogs.co.uk/

Yes
A local fellow used to do these, I think maybe 10 kinds of mushrooms (I kept choosing strawberry oyster as they are so gorgeous) ... unfortunately he went wholesale only
(his main business was seeding stumps etc, establishing commercial growers & such)

I have three truffle trees... well I have three trees that have had their roots impregnated with truffle spores .
They were given to me as consecutive Christmas presents over three years, the oldest one is now 5 years old.
With a lot of luck I may get a truffle in the next few years as the literature stated 5-7 years before any will appear!

When I was last in New Zealand, I was looking at business opportunities and truffle farming was one of them alongside other long term investments like growing pine.
Anyway I watched a promotional video about farming truffle in the South Island, the footage portrayed a gentleman who had set up farming by planting two thousand impregnated (probably not ht right term) trees 20 years previously.
He was seen walking amongst the trees with his two Labrador’s and filling his pockets with prime truffles!
It looked so idyllic and so perfectly suited my lifestyle but of course nothing is ever so simple!
Possums, truffle poachers and a large long term investment with considerable risk put me off but..... for the lucky few ... what a job!

Back