• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mutated pogostemon stellata?

H..

One plant in my emersed setup has turned in to pinkish color

Is this an variegated mutation?
Will it be stable?

H

Attachments

• BFC1E4F3-6944-47CE-893E-9B67F52D24B7.jpeg
    BFC1E4F3-6944-47CE-893E-9B67F52D24B7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 230
  • 9F399DDF-50B8-4CCD-BECE-E0C3694B4591.jpeg
    9F399DDF-50B8-4CCD-BECE-E0C3694B4591.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 140
Looks gorgeous, I would submerge it. If it reverts, then trim it a couple nodes before where it reverted.last place it was variegated (on the stem). Then force it to make side shoots and hope for the best. A variegation like that is uncommon and sought after.

Reactions: H..
Thanks. I will let it grow a bit longer to see what hapens and then moove it to a tank perhaps.

More photos to come...

H

Pogostemon stellata variegete.jpg

Very nice coloration I´d say. Slightly pinkish.
Anyone seen this mutation before? Or can this be first time? Then I´d like to name it...

H

Certainly encourage side shoots before you try anything. You can try and stabilise it by taking cuttings of cuttings for several “ generations” The further away from the base you take the cutting will improve the stability. But.…It seems to have very little chlorophyll in the leaves so may be rather a weak plant that ends up with very poor growth and not fit for purpose Time will tell !

Certainly encourage side shoots before you try anything. You can try and stabilise it by taking cuttings of cuttings for several “ generations” The further away from the base you take the cutting will improve the stability. But.…It seems to have very little chlorophyll in the leaves so may be rather a weak plant that ends up with very poor growth and not fit for purpose Time will tell !
Thanks A.
Yes, It has been propagated for some times now, and this one is an third time propagation from shootings. My first submerged. So I belive it is somehowe stable.

But you say it will be more or less stable if the cuttings are taken from furher up or down the plant? please elaborate this.

Yes you are spot on here, I have noticed less green in the plant and belive there is less chlorophyll in the leaves. I planted this side to side with an "normal " P Stellata and it grew 50-75% of the original plant in volume and height, at the exact same conditions.
Perhaps it is more fragile or weaker than the original plant, but it sways better in the current and is an stunning singular spot right now.

Cheers

H

Back