• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my 1st ever fish tank

jarthel

I have always been fascinated by the fish and have always wanted a tank of my own. We had a goldfish before which lasted for several months. I even bought a small 2nd-hand tank in the past but it was in poor condition so I wasn't really interested at the time.

Anyway, my son has been fascinated with fishes recently (he always enjoyed our trip to the mall and will spend a lot of time in the pet shop looking at the fish). And the CFO agreed to us having a tank. What started out as canvassing for a $200 AUD all-in-one tank turned out to costing something around $1800 AUD (I've stop counting). The tank was initially going to the dining room. The $200 tank is fine in dining room but not the tank that I bought so it has been placed in the "den" (which is our 2nd lounge room).

The setup will be an tropical Australia biotope that will house 2 species of rainbowfish + glass shrimps (for clean up duty). I do not know of any Australian moss that I can tie to driftwood so I may have to resort to imports. I'm thinking of using flame moss. The driftwood will house imports as well (narrow leaf ferns) as I do not believe Australia has a suitable replacement.

I will be buying my plants/fish from aquagreen.com.au. The glass shrimps will come from livefish.com.au as they have a nice promo on these. The flame moss and fern will be sourced from local hobbyists (either through a local fish forum or ebay).

anyway here are some pics of the stuff I had to do. (no tank pics yet)
------------
cabinet hack: I had to drill 4 big holes (only for the side cabinets) to fit the tubing. The hole that is in there wouldn't work with my canister.

The stand came with 2 cabinets only. I had to convert the middle portion (open and didn't come with a door) into a makeshift cabinet. This will house the fire extinguisher setup. You can see the rectangular hole I had to cut on the bottom plate to make the FE fit as it's too tall. The small hole on the middle cabinet is used for the 4mm CO2 and the bigger hole is for the solenoid power cable.

Here's the front and back photos of the makeshift door for the middle cabinet. The door was constructed using the cabinet dividers that came with the stand.
--------------------------------
here's the MH system being tested. The lighting consists of 2x 54W T5HO, 2x 150W halide and 2x LED moonlight.

I need to replace the power cables as it's too short for my taste. I will probably just buy cheap extension cables from the "$1" shop. And The seller sent the wrong halides so I'm waiting for replacements. :(
Here's my electronic timer. All sockets can be timed. I got 2 of these. 1 board will house cables for the MH system (which has 3 cables) while the 2nd one will be housing the solenoid from the CO2 regulator. I may connect a wavemaker in the 2nd electronic timer if required. The timers/powerboards will be mounted on the back of the stand. I thought of putting them inside the cabinets but there isn't enough space.
I spend most of the afternoon today putting in ceiling braces (got 2 of them up in the ceiling) for the lighting. very hard work and back-breaking due to cramp space. But I got it done in the end. Thought I will check-out the hardware shop tomorrow to see if I can find something to secure the steel wire. The steel wire is secure by a round screw (beneath the electrical tape in this photo). I need to include an "insurance policy" to my setup in the possibility that the round screw was somehow loosened.
The tank is still in the floor. Due to the tank's weight, it is impossible for me to easily move it around. So everything must be set first (timers mounted, lighting position calculated and mounted and anything else that requires me to move the stand) before I move the tank.

anyway, a lot of forum members has helped me so far. So big thank you to all of you. more pics to come!!

ps. hopefully, the halide lamps will come soon so I can start planting!!

no plants yet (the place I'm ordering them from is closed til Jan 11). But I have asked the guy who helped me transport the tank to help lift the tank from the floor to the stand. I'm very happy. Very close to planting season now :D

I've setup the lighting (measured several times) and the stand to its designated spot. Once the tank is in place, I doubt I can move the stand/tank as the tank is VERY VERY VERY heavy by itself.

Hopefully, I can take some photos of the tank in its proper place with the substrate in it and the wood :)

I'm looking forward to seeing this, you've obviously put a lot of effort it, great stuff :thumbup:

Just be sure the tank is level before the guy who helps you lift it gets away and before too much substrate is placed. :clap:

It sounds as though you researched and planned this very well. I look forward to seeing pictures.

The tank has been placed on the stand last week and I took this photo. It doesn't looked right. :( When the tank was in the floor, the wood seemed okay then.

Anyway, I went out wood hunting earlier today and was able to find a nice single and long piece. It's does not have lots of branches like the ones seen in the journals but I think it's unique. Here are some photos.

1. main piece

2. OR main piece with a cut-off wood on top

what do you think?

---------------------------
Also the place where I'm getting the plants from doesn't have hirsuta. :( I might to use Elatine gratioloides or Hydrocotyle tripartita.

Once I've sorted out my driftwood dilemma, I'll start buying the plants.

I think that maybe if you got the piece of wood as it is on the 1st picture and turned it around and placed it on all 3 legs. The thickest side of the wood would be near the filter on the right, with the other two 'legs' facing towards the front left corner. You could then add some tallish growing plants between the back gap.
I'm no expert but its just a thought :)
Oh, and where did you get your filtration unit from if you don't mind me asking?

Celestial said:
Oh, and where did you get your filtration unit from if you don't mind me asking?

do you mean the white pipe? if yes, they came from a hardware/plumbing supplies shop :)

This is
p1090719800x600.jpg

of woods (3 pieces altogether) that I found last Wednesday. any thoughts?

though to be honest, I'm beginning to like no.2 since it's unique. I've been browsing around photo journals in other forums and the IALPC(spelling?) contest results and it seem "every man and his dog" has a "branchy" scape :( (no offense meant)

I also found a very nice tree trunk. around 70cm in height and 46cm at its widest. It's currently drying out as some of the bark is stuck to the wood. I soaked it overnight and it may take a month before I could use this if I decide to use this. If ever I use the trunk, I'm thinking of something along the lines of "flooded plains of the Northern Territory".

thanks for looking :)

Back