• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 1st Tank in about 25yrs

BrianSmith

Seedling
I've been thinking about getting back into fish keeping for a wee while now. The last tank I had was 25yrs ago and recently started getting the bug again, so today I bought a tank. It's going to be a community tank and I want to concentrate more on the plants this time so I've been watching a heap of videos on good-old Youtube, and have a good idea on how I want the finished scape to look.
I never bothered (or knew about) adding CO2 before, but its definitely something I'll be adding this time round.
The tank is a 4ft Fluval Roma, complete with LED light bar, heater and external filter, along with an oak finish cabinet. The wife likes how it looks, so that's a plus ;)

The bogwood is only there to give me an idea of how much I'll need, but I think by the time I add some rocks, more substrate and plants it will be enough. Maybe just a couple of smaller twig like pieces glued on to give more of a root effect.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_215832.jpg
    IMG_20200104_215832.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 203
The hobby has changed alot in the last 25 years so you'll certainly have fun catching up. You have some nice driftwood and it looks good as it is but (and this is unless the wood blocks the filter pipes from your favourite viewing angle already) I'd move that large lump slightly to the left to block the pipework more but allow you to get your hand between it and the glass for maintenance. It should also help with flow.

Thanks Mort.
Aye, I'm already finding out how much things have changed over the years. The driftwood are not in their final placings, but I like your idea for hiding the pipes. I was also thinking about moving the heater onto that right hand side wall, so would have to move that piece to make room for it. Talking about the filter in-take, is there any advantage (or disadvantage) in cutting the length of the pipe so that it sits a wee bit deeper in the tank? I'm thinking it might result in more actual flow around the bottom half of the tank, or would that not make any difference?

I don't see any problems with lowering the intake. Most of us run intakes much closer to the substrate for the reasons you suggest. I'm guessing they make it that high as people sometimes bank their substrate quite high at the back to create depth.

Back