• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 20 litre nano tank

Virtex

Hi,
This is a final photo (with equipment taken out) I took of my nano tank before taking it down. The tank was running for close to 2 years. I had some annoying staghorn algae growing on the rock, and the HC which I recently replanted had not fully grown back in yet. Still pretty happy with how it turned out.

Full specs:
Tank: Kmart 20 litre aquarium (36*22*26cm)
Filter : Aqua One Clearview 280 HOB
Light: IKEA desk lamp (old tertial version) with 20w cool white CFL bulb
Heater : Aquazonic Eco 25w
Hardscape : Single Seiryu stone
Substrate : old Cal Aqua Black Earth Premium
Livestock : Cherry Shrimp
Plants : Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Rotala Rotundifolia, Broad leaf chain sword (unknown type), Cryptocoryne nevellii
Fertilisation: EI
CO2: DIY yeast CO2 using chopstick as diffuser.

P6040229.jpg

Haha that's my video:) . It is just the end of one of the wooden disposable/take away chopsticks snapped off and shoved into the end of the tubing.
17918_chopsticks.jpg

Just a warning, it doesn't always work. I use a chopstick diffuser in all my tanks. At the moment I have 1 really good one, 2 that work ok and the rest are bad. For the bad ones, large bubbles just get pushed out the gap between the airline and the chopstick, so these ones I only use under an internal filter/powerhead to chop up the bubbles through the impeller. You need to get a tight seal around the chopstick and airline so that the bubbles get pushed through and out the wood (sort of like the old wooden airstones) rather than seeping out the side.

Anyway, if you can get them cheaply, a better option nowadays when using yeast co2 would probably be the new acrylic style diffusers with the orange disc (aquario/twinstar/dennerle etc.). I think these work ok at the lower pressures of diy yeast co2. The reason why I started using these chopsticks in the first place was because the old glass diffusers didn't work too well with my diy yeast co2.

Hi,
This is a final photo (with equipment taken out) I took of my nano tank before taking it down. The tank was running for close to 2 years. I had some annoying staghorn algae growing on the rock, and the HC which I recently replanted had not fully grown back in yet. Still pretty happy with how it turned out.

Full specs:
Tank: Kmart 20 litre aquarium (36*22*26cm)
Filter : Aqua One Clearview 280 HOB
Light: IKEA desk lamp (old tertial version) with 20w cool white CFL bulb
Heater : Aquazonic Eco 25w
Hardscape : Single Seiryu stone
Substrate : old Cal Aqua Black Earth Premium
Livestock : Cherry Shrimp
Plants : Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Rotala Rotundifolia, Broad leaf chain sword (unknown type), Cryptocoryne nevellii
Fertilisation: EI
CO2: DIY yeast CO2 using chopstick as diffuser.

View attachment 152520
Where did you get the Hemianthus Micranthemoides from? I cant find them anywhere in uk

Back